Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Pendulum Sights

Old 10-28-2002, 10:55 AM

Default Pendulum Sights

I've been contemplating switching from the standard bow sights to a pendulum sight, however I've heard mixed feelings on them. Was hoping someone could share their thoughts and or experiences on the pendulum sight so that I may make a decision to switch or stay with my current set up. I've been thinking of switching because I mostly hunt out of a tree stand, and was told that with the pendulum sight there is no need for judging distance up to 25 - 30 yards. On the other hand I have heard that they are worthless on the ground. Although I hunt 90% of the time in a tree stand I do not want to limit myself for those occasional times I hunt from the ground. Please help!
Old 10-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pendulum Sights

From a treestand to relatively level ground, they can't be beat in my opinion. Depending on the speed of your bow, you can aim dead on from 25-33 yards and be money.

From the ground, you basically have a single pin set up sighted in at 20 yards. For farther shots, use Kentucky windage. Mine hit's just a tad low out at 30 yards from level ground when holding dead on. I wouldn't shoot much further anyway...

I have the Savage Pendulum Max, and highly recommend it. Ruggedly well built and solid, absolutely silent operation, a great piece of equimpent.

I don't see how a treestand hunter can go wrong with a quality pendulum...

Old 10-28-2002, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a strong advocate of a single pin sighted for 25 yards for years. This has worked just as well as any pendelum I used. However I stuck on a new SME pendelum for this season ans can honestly say the JURY is still out. So far I haven't had any problems but I can also say that were I going on a guided hunt or someplace where I could not get another sight it would come off. I have a gut feeling anything with moving parts like this just may get tangles up in brush, dropped, banged or whatever and be totally useless until replaced. Like I said, I have it on now but I don' think it's gonna stay. In fact, next week I'm going on an out-of-state hunt and will be packing my pre-sighted single pin sight, just in case. You know what my other feeling is?? I don't like having any doubts like this.

Old 10-29-2002, 04:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2002, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the information! I think I'm going to try the savage as you recommended (after this season of course). Just hope it works as well for me as it has for you! So it actually works on the ground up to 30 yards? I don't shoot much past that now, so it sounds like I can not go wrong with it! Thanks again for your time!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

How far you can aim dead on and still hit with a pendulum at ground level is TOTALLY dependent on the speed of your set up. Mine is flinging arrows over 300 fps, which is how I get buy with still hitting in the kill zone when shooting 30 yards with the 20 yard pin at ground level. A little time spent shooting various distances from the ground past 20 yards will tell you quickly if you have to aim higher for farther shots or not... Good Luck.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball, 300fps hunting arrow? man, what kind of bow are you shooting? Darn I need a new bow!

My bow's shooting 252 fps and the savage works great. I sight it in at 20 like they recommend, then step back to 30 and make sure the arrows just fall inline lower, not right or left low. My speed allows for a ~ 6" drop at 30 yards if shooting on the ground.

From the tree its within 1" of my target out to 30 yards (haven't tried past that).

Old 10-30-2002, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, Diamond hornet, absolutely lovely little hunting bow. Only 30.5" ata, 7.5" brace height, accurate, light, ultra quiet and smoking fast...

Old 10-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball, you forgot to tell us the main ingredient. What drawlength are you shooting? That's what affect speed the most, all other things being equal. I agree with the sight shooting well on the ground, and practcing to see where it hits beyond 30. With a speed of 258fps I have to hold about 4" high at 30. For me that still means mid-body hold for elevation--cut the heart right out.

Old 10-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Pendulum Sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.