Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Suggestions on bow replacement >

Suggestions on bow replacement

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Suggestions on bow replacement

Old 10-22-2002, 10:06 AM
Spike

Default Suggestions on bow replacement

I have a Matthews SoloCam bow. I bought it about 3 years ago. I think it has a 29"+ draw and is set about 55#.

I love the bow but here's my problem. Two years ago, I injured my left elbow (I'm right handed). When I pull the bow, I have a major problem when I try to turn the cam - it's hard to do. I have to push the bow towards the sky and pull back and lower the bow.

This sometimes causes great pain and a gasp to go with it (frequently scares the heck out of the deer I had planned to shoot). If it doesn't get too painful, then I'm frequently spotted by the deer because I have to move the bow around so much to get it pulled back.

I have lowered the pull weight to around 52# and don't want to go any lower in weight.

Any suggestions???? I hate giving up this bow as I love it but the came is just too hard to break with my shoulder.

What bow can you recommend that doesn't have this type of cam?

Jack
Old 10-22-2002, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Suggestions on bow replacement

Jack,
I have searched everywhere for a smooth drawing single cam bow. I've been told by everyone that smooth draw = slow speed and low letoff. The closest I found was the Golden Eagle Splitfire 36. You may want to try it out. It also has the angled grip which may help the elbow thing.

Try buying a round wheel bow off eBay. They are very smooth and cheap (go anywhere from $30 to $80). I like the low letoff (40-50%) for finger shooting. If you decide you like em, I can get you the address for "REDMAN" bows. They build to order and are popular with the NFAA barebow competition types. PSE will also make a bow to order with round wheels. Your best low cost bet is still eBay. Hope this helps ... good luck.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:41 PM

Call Css about their new P3 wheel. It's really smooth and easy to draw.Or their webb site cssarchery.com.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I just hate to agree with people but I've had the experience with the Golden Eagle line and they do have a smoother drawing cam. And I know you don't want to do it but lower the weight. There's no sense in beating up your body just to be hard headed. You may be able, in time, to come back up on weight. This sport is supposed to be fun. And when you get that passthough with 45 or 50 lbs the deer won't care.

Old 10-25-2002, 08:24 PM

I would say try to shoot Legacy. It is easier on shoulder and elbow because of smoothness, almost no recoil. I can shoot mine and feel no soreness, fun bow to shoot.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:50 AM
Spike

I just talked to someone about the Darton
Fury bow. It has some kind of new cam system. It looks like a single cam at the top and bottom. I emailed Darton and they told me the bow really pulls smoothly. I am going to find a dealer and try one.

Thanks for the input.
Jack