HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/118994-ripcord-qad-trophy-taker-rest.html)

MilDotMaster 10-30-2005 08:13 PM

Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

Since enough time has gone by that many of you have had the opportunity to try or tune on several drop away rests, I figured it would be a good time to get your opinion. Out of the three listed on the subject line, what one would you choose for hunting? I find that each of the three are very similar; however, each has it own advantages. For example: the QAD looks solid but looks like it has moving parts on the right outboard side where the string attaches where as the Ripchord has it all built inside. Isn'thaving it all built inside better?The TT gets great reviews, but then lacks a bar over the top to ensure arrow remains in place...etc. I have researched several hours on all three of these to make them my top picks. I need help with the last step...what are your thoughts?

bigbulls 10-30-2005 10:08 PM

RE: Ripcord, QAD, or Trophy Taker rest?

I started using a QAD this year and it has been awesome. The moving part on the outside is actually a good thing. It enables you to adjust the spring tention on the rest so if you shoot a super fast set up you can set more tension and have the rest drop quicker. From what I understand the ripcord is not adjustable for spring tension like the QAD is. That is also where you cock the arm into the up position rather than pushing on the launcher like the ripcord has you do. I have not used the ripcord so I can not comment on its durability, quietness, etc... Just pointing out the differances in the features of both rests.

I absolutely do not like any products from TR. I see far too many rests and sights with problems. They have good customer service but their QC department is lacking big time. I have seen numerous DZ rests that have had the pin that holds the wheel that the cord travels on just fall out for no apatant reason. Seen them break springs. Seen the arm not track properly and gouge the plastic sleeves that it rides up and down on. Personally I want a lifetime warranty that I never have to use. What good is it if the product is always breaking and you can't use it?

bearshooter 10-31-2005 11:20 AM

I'd have to second BigBulls's opinion on this one. I too did a lot of research before choosing my QAD that I'm currently shooting, and couldn't be happier with the choice. I have been shooting it extensively since June and have not had a single problem with it. I do shoot a good bit, and am not kind to my equipment through hunting season. I expect it to hold up to the riggers that a season can put on it, and this one has done just that.
All in all, would buy the QAD again if I had to do it all over again, without hesitation!

cybersniper 11-01-2005 03:52 PM

I shoot the QAD and I'm very happy with it. I took it over the ripcord because you can let the arrow down if you decide not to shoot without the rest falling down.

The bar over the top really isn't need because the "V" is pretty deep. You would almost have to tip your bow upside down for it to be useful.

Cybersniper

hunohio 11-02-2005 06:45 AM

I love my QAD. The RipCord is a copy of the QAD concept, but isn't as convenient to use. The TT is a good rest; I put one on my daughter's bow and she seems to like it. The disadvantage is it doesn't "contain" the arrow unless you are at full draw. Also, if you don't draw back smoothly, you're likely to have the arrow pop off the rest.

QAD also has great customer service. I had a minor problem with mine Saturday and e-mailed them about it Monday. Within an hour, I had a response indicating they would switch out the rest free of charge. Can't beat that.

MilDotMaster 11-02-2005 06:52 PM

"I shoot the QAD and I'm very happy with it. I took it over the ripcord because you can let the arrow down if you decide not to shoot without the rest falling down".

The statement above brings up a very good point. However, Ripcord fans say they like how the Ripcord automatically errects the arrow rest when you draw the bow back. What is more important? Is it true that with the QAD you have to reach with your hand to prop the rest in the vertical postion?

Great posts and thank you all for taking the time to log in and help me out. So far 4 votes for the QAD...things are looking good.

cybersniper 11-02-2005 07:45 PM

Mildot,

The QAD works both ways. When I'm practicing I leave the rest down and when I draw the bow the rest comes up and stays up until I shoot. If I decide not too shoot and let down,the restwill hold the arrow inthe upposition.

When I'm hunting and get into my stand, I nock and arrow and manually lift the rest up and it locks in that position. If I need to let it down I flick the thumb wheel and it will simulate an arrow moving forward and collapse the rest. It will do anything the ripcord does and more.

Cybersniper

MilDotMaster 11-02-2005 08:30 PM

cybersniper,

Great explanation...I'm sold on the QAD. Thanks again for your help. I will pick it up tomorrow at the local shop.

funeralplanner1 11-05-2005 05:22 PM

Bigbulls, how do you adjust the rest for a faster bow??? I might want to do that.

MizzoukiSpot 11-07-2005 05:12 AM

qad has big time clearance issues. Had two of them and have 3 friends that have the rest. Run powder or lipstick on the veins...you will see. One buddy says the rip cord eliminated the problem. I know for a fact that the regular tt has been awesome.