Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fletching jig

Old 09-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fletching jig

For the guy at home whats the best fletching jig to buy for repairing and making arrows. I want something thats not too difficult to use, as I've never done it before. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching jig

Most people I know use the Bitzenberger jig. Either straight or helical clamps can be used, depending upon your preference. It's easy to use, and does a great job. It only applies one fletch at a time, but can be used for either feathers or vanes. It is a little pricey for some folks. For something a little cheaper, try the Arizona E-Z Fletch. It does all three vanes / feathers at the same time.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks bugs, but now a worms popped up, whats the difference between straight or helical clamps. I can grasp the straight, but what about the helical and which one makes the arrow fly straighter. How can I tell which I've been shooting the past few years.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:14 PM

for the money the grayling does a great job. I use one & really like it. it is very adjustable & works as well as the bitz but costs half the money.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:43 PM

all i know bout helical and straight is that ive heard helical is noisier.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckmister, I also recommend the Bitzenberger.

If you purchase the straight clamped Bitz, you can still offset the fletch which will work similiarly to a helical....

Now a helical is when the fletch wraps around the shaft of the arrow at an angle to the arrow, to what degree is determined by the fletch jig....

A offset fletch is a straight fletch slightly turn off center to the shaft.

A helical will get the arrow spining sooner and faster out of the bow which is a key to help stabilize broadhead flight. An offset fletch will get the arrow spining quicker as well but not quite what a helical do.

You can buy straight, right or left helical clamps for a Bitzenberger Jig.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-24-2002, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

which would be better for the beginner, straight or right helical for hunting and for the first time fletcher? I can't seem to get the correct arrow from my local pro so I want to be able to do it my self. I ordered 6 2315's and got 2314's, was told the order was ready and still had to wait while he glued the nocks and inserts, while he Bs'd with the regulars. Did not see the mistake until I was home. Called and got the sorry story, but the 2314 will still work story.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could get by nicely with a straight clamp for fletching vanes. You can glue the vanes on straight or apply some off-set to them. Straight or off-set are probably easier to get clearance through a shoot through type of rest. If you are using a fall / drop away rest, it then becomes a non-issue. If you use helical, you can use either right or left for vanes... just personal preference. With feathers however, left wing feathers need a left helical clamp and right wing feathers need a right helical clamp. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to prefer the BPE Pro jig. It is relatively easy to use....about $40...and allows you to apply both the straight fletch and the offset with relative ease. Helical fletching requires a separate clamp.

Personally, I like the offset fletch because it allows for excellent fletching clearance on a shoot-through rest and yet gives the arrow a decent spin/stabilization for broadhead use.