Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
getting started?? >

getting started??

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

getting started??

Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default getting started??

I want to get into bow fishing. What, where , why and how do I go about it. I assume there is more to it than grabbing my bow and shooting some fish? Or is it that simple? Any advice to get me started would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, it is about that simple. Decide on a real kit for your bow, maybe use an old bow and turn it down. Don't want to use release, slows you down and you need to make quick shots.

If you find you like it then I would invest in a bow especially for bowfishing so you can take shots without having to be full draw.

Know your species and local regs before going.

Have fun and most importantly, aim low.

btw, most don't even use sights on bowfishing bows.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Ah Bowfishing.... I just got back into bowfishing this year, and i got to say i reach for my bow now more then my rods in the summer.

Like 7danny said know your regs first, where i live they encourage us to shoot all the carps, gar and especially Snake heads we can handle. I would get an old bow to start, im using my old Browning bow i used to hunt with when i was a teenager, no peep or loop or any of that crap, get good with your fingers. If you use a sight sight it in low.. I mean put a paper plate in the yard and shoot at it, and make sure the arrow is hitting a good 8 inches below the plate, Thats on in the bowfishing world, water refraction is something you got to get used too....

AMS has a bunch of crap for bowfishing, its what they do. I highly recommend spending the money on one of their reels, and get a good rest too, you can use any rest you want, but the ams rest or the whisker bisquit bowfishing rest are great. Any fiberglass arrow will work, and i love Interloc heads(3 barb grapple point), not a fan of others i have tried.

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/

http://www.innerloc.com/Pages/prod_H2O.htm

And lastly..... Have a blast!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the input. Just wondering why no release, peep or loop?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Takes to much time... You need to be able to pull and release very quickly. Most shots are on the move and usually happens very fast. I mean you can use all that stuff if you want, but you will be drawing and the fish will be darting off in the other direction by the time your ready to shoot. My friends wife uses a release, loop and peep and she takes a lot fewer shots then me or him just because she can never get ready fast enough, or cant line everything up quickly enough.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Spike

if you have ever shotted with a recurve or longbow try a set-up with a more traditional bow.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Joe Teh Archer
if you have ever shotted with a recurve or longbow try a set-up with a more traditional bow.
This is a Recurve with a Zebco 808 bowfishing reel with muzzy pole. Muzzy arrows with sliders. Works well.

Last edited by wheelie; 04-06-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: removed pic
Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

There's one!SHOOT!getting started??-thumbnailcatfqpik.jpg
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Spike

Default if your a tru hunter dont do it, onley if you eat the fish

I am a bow hunter and won’t kill anything that I won’t eat or that can be given to others to eat. I understand the Asian carp are a problem but it seems to me guys are bow fishing just for fun. Is this good Hunting ethics to kill a common carp just for fun? I think not if you’re not eating it or giving it to others to eat then it wrong and other hunters I know fell the same way,. Their are those that will say common carp eat bass eggs and destroy bass habitat but nun of this has ever bin proven and new study suggest it’s all misinformation. Bass eat carp and man takes out the bass and eats all the predators now that the number of predators are low the carp get the balm the same thing happens in polluted water the carp survive and the other fish don’t, wan bass anglers see all the carp and no bass they balm the carp. It’s wrong to kill for fun and that’s what most of those are doing wan that kill common carp with a bow unless you are eating them you must think about this, the Asian carp on the other hand are a problem and you are doing sum good by taken them out. The carp I am talking about are not the Asian carp thay are common. I hunt for food and enjoyment and what I kill gets eaten by me and others. I will never kill just for fun and I think Bow fishing is giving Bow hunters bade rep. If your bow fishing just for the sake of shooting sum fish and calling it practice or fun and just living the carp to rot then you knead to think about this and cheek your self. I also seen sum photos of guys with rays, did you eat those ray? If not you killed gods creations just for fun and not for food, that’s not the way he planed it

Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Do you eat the mosquitos or ticks that you kill? If a mouse or a roach moves into your house, do you leave it alone or do you kill it and eat it? Do you eat the dandelions in your yard after you put down some weed killer?

We kill carp. Lots of them. It's fun and we don't apologize for doing it. Nor should we. And since when are we not supposed to have fun in our outdoor pursuits? Would you be okay with bowfishing if we only frowned when we did it??

It has been proven many times over that common carp are destructive, invasive species and that killing them is a good for our lakes and rivers. No need to be grim about it. http://www.carpbusters.com/documents/9_1_06_CT_art_.pdf (I could post dozens of 'carp are destructive' research papers here)

If you don't want to bowfish, then don't do it. But don't come on here telling us we are unethical. We are the ones helping out the waterways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.