Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Looking to buy Muzzleloader

Since your willing to spend the money... ask yourself this question..."Will I use this rifle for anything other then black powder hunting?" If you do not plan to put different barrels on the Encore then why spend the extra for it. The Omega is a great black powder rifle and would make all those kinds of shots you mentioned. It also has the warranty of Thompson Center should you have any problems or complaints... You might want to go shoulder one somewhere and see how it fits..

I would get a stainless steel Omega with a laminate stock.......

Good luck
Old 12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Since your willing to spend the money... ask yourself this question..."Will I use this rifle for anything other then black powder hunting?" If you do not plan to put different barrels on the Encore then why spend the extra for it. The Omega is a great black powder rifle and would make all those kinds of shots you mentioned. It also has the warranty of Thompson Center should you have any problems or complaints... You might want to go shoulder one somewhere and see how it fits..

I would get a stainless steel Omega with a laminate stock.......

Good luck

I agree. I have a stainless Omega. I have the camo synthetic stock which I like. Some think it is too light (weight in stock is possible if so). Hollow synthetic some don't like. Omega is a great rifle but takes a little development time to find the bullet/sabot combination that will work in your rifle. If I was doing it again I would buy the same rifle.Stainless, synthetic,camo .50 cal. I have hunted Wellsville, Olean area and would pick this rifle for that type of hunting. I think from what I have read the rifle is legal in NY and so are most of the bullet/sabot combinations as well as Powerbelts which my rifle shoots just great also. 100 yard groups of less than two inches center to center are possible. three to four inch groups are common with almost any bullet I have tried. My rifle does not like 777 powder and I would not go with that to start because of crud ring it forms. Pyrodex, real black, American Pioneer, or Black Mag3 all are OK. Black Mag3 is all I use now; great powder!!! I have a Simmons shotgun (camo) scope 1.5-5 power. Works great up to 150 yards. I usually limit my shots to 100 yards anyway.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Jay dog,

I would look into the knight rifles. They are guarenteed to be within 2 1/2" groups out of the box. I shoot less than one ince groups out of mine.

I have the Knight Disc Extreme .50 stainless synthetic thumbhole stock. Knight has a $50.00 rebate and they are on sale at Natchez after rebate for around $380.00. That's a steal.

Knight is known for their accuracy and probably have the best customer service. In fact call them and ask some questions about their rifles and you will see how friendly and helpful they are. It's like calling an old hunting buddy.

I would also look at the Knight Revolution and the Thompson Center Omega. The only thin I've heard bad with the Omega is the bad stocks and guys seem to have to order different breech plugs, and the gun doesn't seem to like triple seven. This is what I learned when I posted in this forum a couple of weeks ago asking the differences between the two for a friend.

Cybersniper
Old 12-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Knights are a great rifle without a doubt. My Wolverine is a great shooter. The only reason I would stay away from the Knight Revolution (and this might sound stupid) is the rifle just hit the market. They have not had time to test all the bugs that might exhist in the rifle. Give the Revolution another year though, and see how the market likes them and the gun is functioning, and I think Knight has a real winner on their hands here.....
Old 12-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thompson Encore or Omega.
Knight Extreme or Elite.
Savage 10MLII.

The Knight Revolution - New 2004 I would wait on to ensure the bugs have been worked out. Personally, I think the stock angle on this is strange.

The new Brutus Denali - Perdosoli models look very interesting as well, but it's also a new model.

Either way, get your hands on all of these and see how they feel.

Personally, I don't mind buying the blued finish as nothing I own ever rusts because I take good care of my weapons AND blued is not as reflective as some of the stainless. I take the extra expense of stainless and invest in optics.

Lastly, the top quality weapon will only perform as well as the optics that are mounted on it.
Thus, do consider Leupold & Burris (American Made forever warranty) or Zeiss.
I have scopes from all of these MFG and they are all top shelf. I've also heard good things about the Nikon Monarch.
Personally, I really like the Burris Euro Diamond and Signature Series with Posi-Lock.
Mounting your optics consider Leupold QRW Quick Release Mounts and Rings.

Black Mag'3 Powder

I'm also very fond of the 300Grain Bullets from:
Hornady XTP, SST
T/C Shockwave
Dead Center
Barnes

IMHO

Good luck and welcome to ML!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jaydog,

I will not try to steer you to a specific gun, but I would suggest that you look at the new break-opens. I do not own one I got into the inlines and can not come up with a good reason to abandon them, but i think the break opens are becoming the future, basically because of the ease of cleaning.

Pick a rifle that you have handled and feels comfortable to you, try not to take our specific choices of rifles until you have handled it - they do not all fit or feel the same.

Next check your states regulations, what can you use and when can you use it?

Choose an inline or break-open the looks good feels good to you... then ask us which of those we think might be better.

Finally, I really would not pick the least expensive unless you are stapped to do that. I you choose an inexpensive one and dyou get hooked like most every one else you will be wishing you had spent a little more.

Good luck in you seach

ps I am shooting Remingtons and A&H's - darn good guns
Old 12-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were buying new the Savage 10IIMLS would get my dollars, but then again we can harness the benefit of smokeless powder in ML season. If I wouldn't have the ability to use the smokeless powder in any fashion I would agree the TC Omega, Encore or Knight Elite would be the ones I'd consider today. I use the Remmie 700MLS, it has been great and extremely accurate but has some flaws(to be specific the Rem factory 209 primer setup and required bolt disassembly) and uncertainity in the future of the product.

As far as finish buy the SS, for a newbie it would be worth it know your ML is truly clean and IMO that is the toughest thing to analyze, as well as teach. BP or Subs is extremely corrosive and requires thorough cleaning procedures. Just my opinion but I think it is money well spent for one who doesn't know the ritual or requirements of BP rifles..cheap insurance if you will.

I agree if scoping buy the best optics you can afford. I have excellent service out of the Elite series for an affordable decent scope, many other real good ones as well. Currently I have a Zeiss Conquest topping my 700 MLS, very pleased. Also make sure to hold her tight with good quality rings and bases. I personally like Leupold Bases/Rings my favorite being the double dovetail design but other's to choose from including the Quick Release which has obvious applicable application for a smokepole in particular.

Best to do some tire kicking to find the one that feels right to you!

Best of luck
Old 12-17-2004, 05:07 PM

If you are only going to use for muzzleloading:

T/C Omega .50 stainless
Knight Disc Elite .50 stainless
Knight Revolution .50 stainless

If you think there is the possibility of muzzleloading + other tpyes of hunting/shooting:

T/C Encore 209x50 w/ the ability to switch barrels to centerfire or shotgun would be a hands down choice.

Strictly for ML'ing, I personally think the Omega or Disc Elite are the way to go right now. You surely wouldn't go wrong with either one of them!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.