Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 lyman deer stalker or t\c white mountain >

lyman deer stalker or t\c white mountain

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lyman deer stalker or t\c white mountain

Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Spike

Default lyman deer stalker or t\c white mountain

Can buy a lyman deerstalker or t\c white mountain carbine for the same price.I do most of my hunting under 100 yards,any body out there own either one pros cons,loads ? thanks ED
Old 12-01-2004, 05:37 PM

Default RE: lyman deer stalker or t\c white mountain

i have a white mountain it has a 1 in 28 twist and it will shoot the black sabots and xtp ,speer, hollow point bullets with extreme accuracy,when i went from the renagade to the white m car. i doubled my kills and when i got the knight mk 85 i never looked back at the side hammers except to shoot at the range.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Take the T/C White Mountian. From all I have read they're a great shooting rifle. Also you have the Thompson Center warranty behind you...
Old 12-04-2004, 05:17 AM

Don't know about the Lyman but I used to have a White Mtn back in 98. It was an older model. The twist on the older ones is 1-in-48. If you buy one you want to pay attention to this. The faster twist on the newer ones is for the new sabots and the slower for the all lead conicals on the older. Make sure you check this as the newer bullets shot crappy out of mine. I used this rifle for two years and took 5 deer with it. I found this to be the perfect tree stand rifle for shots under 50 yards. I got ragged one hole groups at 50 yards with 90gr. of Pyrodex and T/C Maxi-Hunters. Bought my first inline in late 99 and haven't looked back. I still love to shoot my 30 yr old Hawken and the White Mtn at the range, but the ease of cleaning and the ability to use a red dot sight made me switch for hunting. I'm very anal about cleaning and maint so I've never had a misfire in the woods. For the newer hunter, not used to cleaning with boiling water and soap, the inline may be the better choice. They are much more forgiving and take a lot of pain out of the cleaning, especially with some of the new ignition systems and propellants.