Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

black diamond

Old 11-23-2004, 10:55 AM

Default black diamond

As far as I know, T/C is still making the Black Diamond but I never see it advertised and Cabela's doesn't carry it in their catalog. Is there some kind of problem with this gun? My son is looking to buy a medium priced rifle and I'm trying to steer him away from the Spaniards.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: black diamond

I saw one in WallMart the other day. I don't have one but the posts I have read on this board seem positive.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM

T/C does still make the Black Diamond. The one at Wal-Mart may be in a kit that includes some accessories but is usually the shorter barrel length. They also make one called the XR which has a 26" barrel. I don't know where you are located but if one is near Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $269 for a blued one, $299 for stainless, and $349 for a stainless w/camo stock.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:52 AM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, he'll buy Made in USA.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:02 AM

One more question. I know they're both well made guns, but could someone give me an opinion on the Knight Wolverine vs. the Black Diamond? (ease of cleaning, accuracy, etc.) Thanks
Old 11-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

BobD you're in luck. I happen to own both. The Wolverine is a great little rifle. Mine really is an excellent shooter. Loaded with a 250 grain Barnes Expander or a 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP this thing will drive nails. Also due to the size difference between the Wolverine and the Black Diamond XR (the simple Black Diamond would be the same size), the Wolverine makes a great little stalking rifle.

As for cleaning, all muzzleloader can be a pain to clean. The Black Diamond XR and the Knight are about the same for cleaning. Pewrhaps the Wolverine is a little easier to clean, if there is such a thing. One point to the Knight Wolverine is the timney trigger, it comes out with the removal of one screw. It is then like cleaning a pipe. The Black Diamond on the other hand does not have a trigger that drops out that easy, so you must be careful not to push stuff back into it. You always clean it from the breech to the muzzle. The Knight really makes no difference once the trigger is out.

Both of them are very well balanced rifles. Both have excellent triggers and fiber optic sights. If your kick is shooting big conicals then go with the Black Diamond. It seems to behave better with concials as well as sabots. Actually of the two rifles, the Black Diamond will shoot a larger variety of projectiles and do it well. The Knight on the other hand will shoot concicals fine, but with the right sabot it is hard to outshoot the Knight.

The one point the Black Diamond has in its favor is the double locking lug system and the free floating barrel. As long as you support the rifle by the stock and never the barrel, this rifle will really shoot well. (rest your Black Diamond only on the stock off the bench rest and this thing will amaze you).

As for the warrany, well Thompson Center's is second to none. I have never had to use Knights, but I wonder if they have a no questions asked warranty department like Thompson Center. I ask this because I read a post on one of the boards about a person having trouble with a Knight and they did not want to do anything about it. That would never happen with Thompson Center. You have a problem, they have a solution.

I have used Thompson Centers warranty because I own seven of their rifles, some for over 25 years, and have broken parts on them. Thompson Center fixed them without charge or question. If Knight does the same, well I would sure hate to recommend one over the other. The best thing you can do is handle both rifles and see which one fits and balances for you the best.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob

You have to pay attention to the Wolverine when buying them. Some of the older #11 cap nipple ignitions are still out there. I think they are called Wolverine II. The other Wolverine is called Wolverine 209... which also come in 26' barrel.

As far as I can recall, all Black Diamonds & Black Diamond XRs come with 3 ignitions (#11 - musket - 209).
Old 11-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en is right.. I have the Wolverine II LK-93 which is a #11 cap ignition. To be real honest, I would not let that stop me from getting it. I have not had any trouble with the #11 ignition. It shoots excellent. I hunted in the rain one day with it all ready and it functioned perfect. I really do not see the big deal with the 209's other then they are more of a sure thing.

Natchez was selling the Wolverine II for $149.00 which is a great deal for a great shooting little rifle. I am not sure if you can convert this to a 209 ignition or not. I have no intention of trying....