Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC System 1 Twist rate? >

TC System 1 Twist rate?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC System 1 Twist rate?

Old 11-12-2004, 06:46 AM

Default TC System 1 Twist rate?

Hello folks, new here and new to blackpowder hunting. I have an opportunity to buy a brand new leftover TC System 1 walnut/blue at an excellent price(<200). I like the interchangeable barrel concept. My only concern is the twist rate. I know 1X28 seems to be optimal for a .50, but I've read that some of these earlier rifles have a 1X34. Does anyone know what it is for this rifle? Any other general experiances on the System one would be appreciated as well.
TIA
Old 11-12-2004, 06:03 PM

Default RE: TC System 1 Twist rate?

Well...answered the question myself and called TC to find out. They say the System 1 has a 1X38 twist...not consistant with todays 1X28 twist barrels everyone seems to use.

Still any feed back on this model would be welcome, although I am leaning towards the NEF Sidekick as a first muzzleloader.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Ccmano : 1 in 38 twist is the same twist I have in t/c thunderhawk 54 cal. ,I can tell it will handle sabot bullets with excellent performance.
I have shot the precision qt's 45 cal. in 350 grain sabots ,now I am shooting the noslers full partition 300 grain 451 dia: with 95 grains of pyrodex select powder.I have tried the triple 777 powders in my thunderhawk and seem to favor no more then 80 grains to shoot excellent groups.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:30 PM

Ccmano : and there warranty is outstanding
Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Before you rule out the rifle because of the 1:38 twist there is some things this twist is very good at. This twist will normally shoot concials excellent. So in this case I would shoot a large full bore conical such as the 460 grain No Excuses. This will take anything down.

That twist will also shoot sabots. A rifle with 1:48 twist will also shoot sabots. A lot depends on the debth of rifling in the barrel. I think the rifle your are talking about would be an excellent rifle....

Also as lonewolf pointed out. Their customer service is excellent. Also if you ever wanted to change to a different barrel twist I believe they sell them out there....
Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 PM

cayugad:460 grain No Excuses can't seem to get a reply from the guy who cast them ,I was wondering if he is out hunting ,would love to try them
Old 11-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not sure... I am going to order a couple more boxes in a little while. I still have about 20 left for the upcoming modern season hunt.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:21 AM

Excellent info guys..thanks. Here in Colorado telescopic sights, powder pellets and sabots are all illegal for hunting big game. As the rifle will be used primarily for Elk and Deer with conicals, looks like I may wat to reconsider. It's certainly a finer rifle than the NEF. I'll have to do some research on availability of barrels.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Ccmano.. with those kind of requirements in the State you live, that rifle might be just the ticket. I shoot a T/C Black Diamond XR and that thing will really put the big concials down range with excellent accuracy. The twist in that rifle might do even a better job. Outfit that with a Thompson Center Peep sight and a fiber optic front sight and you would have an easy 100 + yard rifle which is about all I could even shoot without a scope.

Lonewolf you might try calling No Excuses Conicals at 801-776-1418 that is the phone number on his business card. Ccmano you might want to check these out if you consider the rifle... No Excuses Conicals
Old 11-13-2004, 03:03 PM

http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...113656117&rd=1

Quick Reply: TC System 1 Twist rate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.