Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet Question

Old 11-19-2004, 12:37 PM

Default bullet Question

Can you practice with t/c mag sabots for practice then use powerbelt bullets if they have 5gr wight difference. I want to do this so i can save some money.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bullet Question

Hi PTA.
though I am new to ML I have done extensive reloading. The problem is everytime you change the weight of the bullet or stay the same weight but go to a different brand how the bullet reacts to the rifle, the air, the load etc. will change point of impact.
In my experiance you may find they shoot the same but that is something you will have to experiment with and see how you rifle likes each load.

I am finding out also that what works good in one ML doesn't not always work in another. This is where the fun and the trial and error comes in.

Good luck
Eric
Old 11-19-2004, 01:01 PM
bigcountry

No, you can't or shouldn't unless you know for a fact that POI is the same for both which is rarely the case. I suggest using the T/c's for both. And forget about powerbelts. Too expensive, and you have to shoot low power loads usually to keep the blowby down and get accurate results. Not a very dynamic load/bullet.

Old 11-19-2004, 02:09 PM

I don't want to give a bad review of the Powerbelts because conceptually, I think they're a novel idea. Also, I know plenty of people who have had luck with them.

However, having just gotten into MLing this summer, I spent quite a bit of time at the range with several load combinations. The first of which included Powerbelts. I'm shooting a T/C Black Diamond XR, which is pretty reliable with a wide range of loads. However, I think I could really tie my initial consistency problems to the Powerbelts, especially at 100 yds.

Again, it's not a bad bullet, and with time, I could probably find the right power combination to keep it consistent, but it was getting expensive. Your question was whether they were basically interchangeable with T/C Mags. My answer is a stout 'no, absolutely not'.

With MLs, I wouldn't expect any two loads to act the same until I proved it.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only almost interchangable bullet combo I have found in my ML is 100 gr with Hornady 240xtp or 250 SST. The POI is approx 1/2" low with the 240 XTP at 100 but bang on. Everthing else I have tried NO. I have used cheaper bullets just for blowing smoke but as season closes I switch to the load I have developed and tested for the duration.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

don't want to give a bad review of the Powerbelts because conceptually, I think they're a novel idea.
check these out, i went to there website they've even got a 45cal m/l there advertising 200grs powder charges, but i thought the bullets might be ok, neat idea anyway

http://emainehosting.com/mdm-muzzleloaders/dynocore.htm
Old 12-13-2004, 08:51 AM

If you change the bullet the POI can also change. Although this is more likely a change in elevation as the bullets should fly striaght.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

MT Hands: I'm sorry but that bullet looks like a cartoon that a child drew with crayons. It's also $12.95 for only 8 bullets!! That's the highest I've ever heard for a ML bullet anywhere plus shipping!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated earlier, you can't assume 2 different bullets, even if they were the same weight, would have the same POI. HOWEVER, I see no reason why you couldn't sight in your rifle with a powerbelt to find the "sweet spot" of powder charge, then spend the off season practicing with cheap bullets. That way, you can develop good habits for shooting your gun without spending a ton of money. Then, 1 month before the season, start shooting powerbelts again, so you can readjust the sights for them.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

As Txhunter58 said, you can shoot them. They might not hit the same place, but you can shoot them. For plinking I shoot a 200 grain SWC and they hit a little high, but I compensate for it and have fun anyway.....