Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 4F Blackpowder--WTH is it? >

4F Blackpowder--WTH is it?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

4F Blackpowder--WTH is it?

Old 10-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 4F Blackpowder--WTH is it?

Has anyone ever used 777 or Pyrodex in a flintlock rifle? In the flashpan?
As I stated earlier, the ONLY IMMUTABLE requirement is to use REAL BLACK POWDER in the pan!

However, IF you use Pyrodex or T7 as the main charge in a flintlock, YOU MUST ALSO DROP about 10 grains of REAL BLACK POWDER IN FIRST, if you wish to avoid musfires/hangfires! So no matter what you do with a flintlock, YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST SOME REAL BLACK POWDER!!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 AM

Yeah, I know. I knew all that, and I knew that before I purchased the rifle. I just didn't realize black powder would be so hard to find down here.

I haven't tried your suggestion of "splicing" my main charge with an initial loading of 10 grains or so of _real_ black powder. I'll make a note of that, and use that technique when I am forced to use the blackpowder wannabe stuff. Right now I'm just scrambling to get some of the real stuff prior to the opening of the muzzleloading season so I can at least get used to firing my flintlock Hawken (aka Lyman Great Plains Rifle, 54 cal) and know where this beauty is hitting prior to hitting the woods.

Because the public has gone to inlines so thoroughly, making it hard for me to get real blackpowder, chaps me quite a bit. To me, an inline "muzzleloader" is a modern rifle and does not qualify as a muzzleloader for which the muzzleloading deer seasons were designed to accomodate. I know; sour grapes.

Kenneth
Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 AM

THANK YOU POWDERINC.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a difference NEW 4F Blackpowder makes. I have my shipment of 5 lbs of GOEX blackpowder, 2 lbs 4F, 3 lbs 2F, and I can see how 4F makes for a fairly fast lock time for flinters.

Kenneth