Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva staghorn

Old 10-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default cva staghorn

Anyone have info on the cva staghorn? Is it a good riffle? I can get one dirt cheap new.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cva staghorn

The CVA Staghorn Magnum was the bottom of the line in the CVA in-line rifles. That is not to say it is not a good rifle. It was replaced with the Buckhorn Magnum.

The Staghorn is a simple striker design inline. The striker safety is a simple locking of the cocking lever in an upright position, making it a very safe rifle. You look at it, and know whether it is on safe or not. The simple design of the striker is one of its best features. There is very little to go wrong with it.

The one locking lug which holds the barrel to the stock seems to do the job very well and secure. Granted the barrel could ride better to the stock but again, this is not their top of the line. The trigger which can be removed for cleaning breaks crisp and clean on my rifle.

The rifle shoulders very well and is balanced out good for the overall rifle. The fiber optic sights could be better. They are functional and work fine, but they are plastic and I cracked the rear sight the first week out, although it is still working fine.

The rifle comes tapped for a scope. Weaver base 418M will mount right to the rifle. It seems to balance better after a scope or RED DOT is installed.

The rifle shoots a number of projectiles very well, but it does not like magnum loads at all. 100 grains is about all your going to make the rifle shoot with any accuracy (if it is like my rifle, 90 grains is the magic number).

If all you want is an entry level rifle to hunt a few more weeks or something to take to the range and plink, the Staghorn will do it. Don't let the cheap price fool you.

It comes with a 209 ignition and is a open breech type rifle, so you might have to take steps to water proof it. So far I have not had any problem with ignition. It has been fast and clean. You can also get a #11 and musket nipple form CVA and an additional breech plug for about $12.00.

Cleaning the rifle is easy because the rifle breaks down into very few pieces. The trigger assembly comes off the barrel as one unit being held on by two screws (the same that fits the locking lug to the stock and barrel). Once the trigger is off, the rifle comes apart without problem. You do not have to remove the trigger to remove the striker if you want to field strip the rifle at the range.

For the money you have a rather good shooting well balanced rifle. Mine shoots excellent groups but I have never shot it further then 100 yards.... Also I would get the .50 caliber if at all possible....
Old 10-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for your help, I only plan to use it during illinois bp season which is only a few days.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Then it should serve you well. I have a number of black powder rifles but will give the Staghorn a shot if the weather looks wet and nasty....