Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New CVA Pro Optima.....I need the magic load >

New CVA Pro Optima.....I need the magic load

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New CVA Pro Optima.....I need the magic load

Old 10-09-2004, 08:50 PM

Default New CVA Pro Optima.....I need the magic load

I had to buy a new rifle due to my old rifle locking up on me.

I bought the CVA Optima Pro. It seems to be a fine rifle. My season opens this coming weekend and I will be in Texas working all week. I might only have one day to shoot and didn't want to waste time shooting all types and weights of bullets.

Can someone give me the magic load using pellets and bullets to give me the jump start of just having to site it in?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 09:11 PM

Default RE: New CVA Pro Optima.....I need the magic load

There is no "magic load" for any given rifle, as they will almost all shoot differently even if they are the same exact model. That being said; I have a CVA Optima I bought last year. I tried several different loads and settled on using 100 grains (2 50 grain pellets) Pyrodex pellets and 245 grain Powerbelt bullets. They shoot very good for my applications; this past weekend I changed scopes, and used this load. I shot at fifty yards and was getting 1/2" to 3/4" groups. Plenty good enough for me, as I will limit my shots to less than 125 yards.

Try this load to begin with and see what kinds of results you get. Remember to follow the same loading procedure each and every time, because this is the key to consistent groups. Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Stone Cold a great rifle there.... due to your lack of time you are best off getting some 50 grain pellets and some powerbelts. Put two pellets in it only, and try some of the different size powerbelts. One of them should click into that rifle. Be sure and swab between shots.

After the season and you have some time, then you can look for sabot loads. Otherwise if you really want to shoot sabots, then get some T/C Shockwaves in 250 grain and shoot 2 pellets with them. It should give you good accuracy.

If your running loose powder the loads might tune in somewhere between 80-100 grains. I am only basing this on my CVA Staghorn. I so not have a Optima Pro.

Good luck
Old 10-11-2004, 07:10 AM

I have the Optima, and can tell you that after shooting about 8 different types of sabots with different charges, my optima likes the Shockwaves with either 90g T7 FFG, or 2-50g pellets (either pyrodex or T7). If you choose the Hornandy SST (the same bullet as shockwaves), make sure to buy some Harvester sabots in .452. They load easier, and are more accurate. Both the 250g and the 300g group great out of my optima. I use the powerbelts in 295g for a follow-up shot if needed, but so far -- it hasn't been required.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:38 PM

The best choice I've found is the 245 grain aerotip with 100 grains of pellets. I have the same gun as you and this combo drives nails for me. At least to 100 yrds., for I dont shoot past that
Old 10-11-2004, 04:40 PM

I forgot to mention those are Power Belt Aerotips.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:08 PM

My CVA in 45 cal shoots 100 grains (2 50 grain pellets) Pyrodex pellets behind a Hornady 200 GR SST/ML real well. The key is shoot preperation. After you make your first shot to foul the barrel, lick a patch and run it down the barrel, turn it over and run it down again. Then make a trip down with a dry patch, both sides and load and shoot. Only after making these pain in the butt cleaning steps does the thing shoot sub-1 inch groups at 100 yards.