Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Isopropyl alcohol and washer fluid >

Isopropyl alcohol and washer fluid

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Isopropyl alcohol and washer fluid

Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Isopropyl alcohol and washer fluid

I have heard that I should run a patch of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and windshield washer fluid between shots , what is the reason for this . To clean is my guess but is this mixture better than black powder solvent ? Is this really needed if I am shooting 777 loose powder and am not having problems packing my bullets ?Thanks, Russ
Old 10-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Isopropyl alcohol and washer fluid

The reason I use that mixture is to clean the fowling out of the bore while at the same time adding a drying agent (alcohol) to avoid moisture problems and power contamination. In winter I will often times switch to pure alcohol. Wetting the patch is done so that fowling will stick to it, and the patch will not get stuck in the barrel.

Triple Se7en can be swabbed with simple water if you like. That water for many is in the form of spit. I personally have used spit but never cared for the practice. Since I reuse the swabbing patches by washing them, they are not always perfectly clean but they get the job done. And there is no way I am putting that in my mouth...

If you can load time and time again with the triple se7en that is great. Just be careful of a crud ring build up with triple se7en. Be sure you are loading at the bottom of the breech instead of above the powder dump on the crud ring. This is how many barrels are damaged. Also a swabbing will insure that the barrel is fowled to the same degree for each and every shot. Consistancy is the key to accuracy.