Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s >

CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s

Old 08-18-2004, 10:16 AM

Default CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these models and could tell me some differences? I am brand new to ML and am going to pick up one of these two products, just trying to decide which one.

I know so far that the new Buckhorn is 2" smaller, both barrel and overall size. I also read that it comes apart differently than the Hunterbolt, making the Buckhorn easier to clean. Besides these things, is there any other differences? I am going to be only hunting deer, would one make a better choice over the other?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt 209 vs. New Buckhorn 209 ?'s

The missing two inches in barrel length will probably never be noticed if shooting 100 yards and under. The Buckhorn acts on a slide striker action. As you said, it is easier to clean, and it comes apart much like my CVA Staghorn which it replaced.

I would personally choose the Buckhorn over the Hunterbolt. The Buckborn generally costs less although there are some great deals out there right now on rifles. I would choose a .50 caliber and load powerbelts for now. Start them at 80 grains and work up in 5 grain amounts of Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg. If shooting Triple Se7en powder remember, it is 15% stronger then Pyrodex in loose form. There pellets are equal in strength. Although after checking the prices of pellets and loose powders at Wal Mart today, I will stick with my Goex....

Depending on what you can spend for a rifle, check out the H&R Sidekick which is on sale on line for $159.95, at Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro Shop Sporting Goods. I have read some great things about this rifle. And with the break open design it should be a pleasure to cap and to clean....

If you want a .45 caliber inline, they have some great deals on CVA Stahorn Magnums at Midway USA but you better act fast. At $69.95 they are not going to last long...

Good Luck with your rifles.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the great info cayugad! I was thinking of going with the .50 mostly due to the fact that my local shop stocks a lot of .50 items vs. the weak selection of .45.

One question I had though, what do you mean by "Slide Striker Action" ? Do you mean the whole bolt moves forward to fire the charge rather than a firing pin located in the bolt? I am new to MZ's, so still trying to get all the terminology. Does the Hunterbolt use a firing pin?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Right, the striker is part of the bolt itself. When you pull the trigger it is under spring tension and slams forward hitting the 209 primer. No firing pin to jam, gum up or break. Also the safety is real secure because you lock the striker, and the gun can not fire.

Actually my Knight Wolverine II and my T/C Black Diamond XR works on the same principle. There is no firing pin to worry about.

My CVA Staghorn Magnum is a very accurate rifle. I have shot excellent groups at 100 yards with the open sights using powerbelts and hornady 300 grain XTP's. It also shoots REAL conicals rather well with 90 grains of Goex FFg.

Your choice of .50 caliber is a wise move. There is better bullet selection at this time. They are easier to find in stores and on line better deals. Also when you shoot a .50 caliber you are putting a 1/2 inch hole through what you shoot. Face it, a 1/2 hole through the heart and lungs is going to stop the animal. Also the .50 caliber will shoot just as far as a .45 caliber. The only difference is the .45 might shoot a little flatter. Som of the posts I have read claim the .45 can be hard to find the right load with. I have not owned or shot one so I have no opinion on those that state this. If I were not going to shoot over 100 yards, I would get as big a caliber as possible. That's why I am going to use a .62 or .58 caliber besides the inlines....