Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzle loaders?

Old 08-16-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Muzzle loaders?

I'm thinking of buying a muzzle loader this year. What do you think of the CVA pro? I'm sure everyone will tell me that knights the best. I just want a good muzzle loader.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzle loaders?

$hooter, I suggest scrolling down the page and posting it in ML forum or do a search. Positive guys can chime in with thoughts for you and affordable ML. Personally never shot or know anybody who uses this model, so can't offer you much help.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 AM
PLB

Please stay the h3ll away from Knight. They sponor USO.

Thomson Center makes excellent Muzzle loaders. I would look into their line.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would stay with TC and never even consider another brand...they have excellent customer service and an excellent product and design.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please stay the h3ll away from Knight. They sponor USO.
Please elaborate.

I recently bought a Savage ML10-II, which is an outstanding muzzleloader. You just have to experience the joy and conveinience of shooting smokeless powder. It's accurate, powerful, safe and clean.

Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 06:18 PM

I'll also strongly suggest Thompson Center as the preferred BRAND...lifetime warranty service is second to none, and it truly is a no questions asked lifetime warranty...been using several TC muzzleloaders for almost 15 years now, had a few expensive repairs made at no charge at all.

As far as the TYPE muzzleloader, you really have to think about what your interest is in getting one:
If all you want to do is take advantage of the special hunting seasons that were originally established for primitive weapons such as side lock precussions and flintlocks, then any plastic stocked thing will probably do.

If however, you have an interest in starting to learn about muzzleloaders, get some insight into the sort of rifles that the early settlers survived on, using black powder, (or Pyrodex, etc) patched round balls, etc, etc...then something like a .50cal TC Hawken would be an excellent starting point, either percussion or flintlock...if it's your first time into muzzleloading, the percussion model might be a little more straight-forward to start out with.

It's an outstanding hobby and you'll probably find that you become consumed by it once you get started and shoot a rifle that is somewhat reminesent of those carried by settlers 150-200 years ago.

Hunted all my life with .30-30's, .30-06's, etc, etc...and then got into muzzleloading...found there's no better sense of accomplishment than to lay a flintlock back down across my lap with smoke curling out of it and a nice buck laying in the leaves 50yds away.

Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Your taking about the Optima Pro. Well from all I have read it is a good shooting rifle. I have been pleased with CVA's customer support. They have answered any question I might have had.

I do think there are other rifles out there that should be examined. If money is an issue and face it, when isn't it. Then there is the H&R Sidekick. It is on sale at Bass Pro for less them the Optima Pro. From all reports it is a great shooting rifle. It is also a break open design for the easy cleaning and such.

There is also the Tradition's Persuit which is in the same price range. I have not heard a lot about the rifle yet. But I am sure it would be well made.

The Optima has been around a couple of years and most of the bugs are out of it now. It really is one of their better rifles. If your shots are going to be under 100 yards maybe just the Optima would be best. It will still do the job, and save you a little money in the long run.

Yes Knights and Thompson Centers are great rifles. I own some of them too. I also own a CVA Staghorn Magnum that I paid $89.95 for and it is a good shooting rifle without a doubt.

If you want a CVA then look at the Kodiak also. I hear it has a double locking lug system on the barrel which would help with some of the bedding problems I have read about in CVA rifles like the Magbolt....
Old 08-20-2004, 06:56 AM

Shooter,

One of my hunting buddies just bought the CVA Optima pro 50 cal inline. We went to the range this week and sarted to sight it in. He also picked up the Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope. He loves the way the gun shoots and handles. Also, if you compare the looks to the TC Omega, it kinda looks like it. Also, the Optima has a break away feature which makes it easy to load and unload the 209 primer. He is shooting 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets, with the power belts. Started at 50 and going to 100 yards.

I have the CVA 50 cal Firebolt, and that is also a nice shooting rifle. When I bought mine, the Optima was not available, and I would have probably went with that rifle instead, but what is done, is done....

Tom
Old 08-24-2004, 03:24 PM

Well I have been shooting Traditions, Cva. and Knight, but just got my first T/C. As far as I am concerned, there is none of them than can come up to the T/C. It is one awesome and fun shooting ML
Old 08-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'd look at a KNight Wolverine, I think you'll be impressed.

Quick Reply: Muzzle loaders?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.