Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NEW TO MUZZLELOADING HELP!!! >

NEW TO MUZZLELOADING HELP!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEW TO MUZZLELOADING HELP!!!

Old 08-14-2004, 04:34 PM

Default NEW TO MUZZLELOADING HELP!!!

hi their i am getting into muzzleloading this year and don't have alot of cash to spend, so i bought the new 50 caliber optima 209 break away for 219.00, so as to you muzzleloading experts here what is you opinion on this rifle and how does it shoot, and what would be the best things to use with this rifle, such as bullets and powder and primers and such. thank you.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:09 PM

Default RE: NEW TO MUZZLELOADING HELP!!!

Outbackshooter, congradulations on rifle. I just got one about a month ago. I love the Optima. I tried lots of diffrent loads here is what I ended up using . I use the Powbelts areo tips in the 348 grain weight. I got the triple 7 ffg in the loose powder I get the best shooting results with 80 grains of loose powder. I tried lots of loads and powerbelts. Its what works best for me. I also undo the plastic base at the bottom of the powerbelt and lube the stem of the powerbelt with bore lube, so the base of the powerbelt is sure to realease. I do that with every pack of powerbelts. I hope this has helped you, I use the Winchester 209 primers Have fun!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NEW TO MUZZLELOADING HELP!!!

Listen to stick shooter on this one. Of all the different posts I have read on this rifle you got a good shooter for sure. The big thing is some of these need to be broken in. What I mean by this is they do not start shooting perfect groups the first time out so do not get discouraged. Then again, some of them do shoot perfect groups first time out.

I agree with the loose powder. It will save you money in the long run. Get a nice see through measure and your on your way. Most of the guns never shoot good with magnum loads. 80 - 90 grains in my Staghorn seem to be the best range for any projectile I have shot.

To break the rifle in, it does not hurt to get a box or two of REAL conicals in 320 grain. Then bore butter them up and have fun at the range punching holes from the 25 yard line. My Staghorn actually shoots them very well with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg.

The big thing get out there and enjoy the rifle and make some smoke.... The powerbelt will be an excellent hunting load for you from all I have read. This will be my first year hunting with inlines too....