Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loading pressure

Old 08-19-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Loading pressure

When using loose Pyrex or Triple 7, how much pressure do you put on the powder when loading your bullet on top of the powder.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Loading pressure

That is a hard question to answer. I load more by position on the ramrod then by pressure. I load on a clean barrel what I feel is an acceptable force for the seating. I do not lean on the projectile but move it down the barrel in a steady motion until the powder charge stops me. I then using masking tape mark on the ramrod where the muzzle of the barrel is in relation to the charge. I can write on the masking tape also, ie; 240/90g. Then when loading that projectile I know that if I take the tape to the muzzle of the barrel each time, the pressure should be about the same. If I find I can not reach that mark then a more intense swabbing of the barrel is in order. I have a friend the uses a fish scale to set his rod. That's all fine and good but too much monkey business for my liking. I haul enough stuff out to the range without bringing along the fishing gear too.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 PM

Till hear the powder crunch which is basically as hard as I can until the powder is compressed...to me, loading consistency is more important than any particular seating pressure itself
Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least 40 pounds to seat the bullet on Pyrodex. less is needed for BP.....