Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 t/c black diamond xr >

t/c black diamond xr

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c black diamond xr

Old 07-29-2004, 10:42 PM

Default t/c black diamond xr

I want to get into m/l hunting. What's the opinion of t/c black diamond xr? How easy or not is it to clean? This is not the gun I want but is a little bit more affordable at this point. Thanx
Bruce
Old 07-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: t/c black diamond xr

I have a Black Diamond XR. Is it hard to clean? Well it is a muzzleloader. They are all bears to clean. Some are easier then others. I guess once you get the hang of it and learn all the things that need to be done the cleaning goes much faster. I am sure there are easier muzzleloaders out there to clean.

It is a great shooting rifle... I have a 1.4 X 4.5 power Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope on mine and it is one accurate shooting rifle. It also has the T/C warranty which is always worth something. You have a problem and they are there to help...

If I had to do it all over again I would have saved a little more and went with the Omega, but actually I am happy with the Black Diamond XR.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Spike

I really like the way my XR shoots. 1'' groups at 100 yard, 2.5'' at 150 yards. As far a cleaning, I would recommend buying the leupold quick release rings and bases if you are going to use a scope. It makes cleaning much easier, and you can take the scope off for black powder season (scopes not legal during BP season in many states) and reattach without having to resight in. I believe leupold guarenttes it will be within 1/2 of Zero when reattached or somthing like that.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

GaHunter19.. what kind of projectile are you shooting and what charge to get those kind of results. I am always interested in trying a new load.

I have been shooting 460 grain No Excuse conicals right now with real good results...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Spike

Cayugad,

I'm shooting 250 grain shockwaves. I got the best groups w/ 90 grains of Pyrodex select. However, I moved up to 100 grains so i could shoot either loose powder or pellets. The groups weren't quite as good, but the differenence was minimal for hunting situations.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

That is the same combination I am using although I have changed over to 100 grains of Goex loose of course, and the groups are excellent. Another good projectile you should try are the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB with 100 grains of Goex. The accuracy was hard to believe at 100 yards.