Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader Info

Old 08-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzleloader Info

I'm new to this muzzleloader thing (like many), and have been doing my research on which gun to buy. I've been jumping from a T/C Omega, Knight Wolverine or Revolution, CVA Optima Pro, etc., etc. In a normal year in Illinois, at most there are only seven days you have to use a muzzleloader (four days for 2nd shotgun season and a three day muzzleloader season). I don't mind spending the extra money on a T/C or Knight, but is it really going to make a difference if I buy a CVA or another less expensive brand? Many of you are experts in the field and if there is a significant difference in manufacturers, I would appreciate the feedback. The guy that runs the local proshop all but tried talking me out of spending the extra money on an Omega. Claimed the CVA Optima Pro was easier to clean and provided the same accuracy as a Knight or T/C. I've known him for years and I know he's looking after my best interest (and wallet), but wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader Info

I've only owned T/C. Haven't regretted it yet.

I have Ruger rifles, and I also have a Savage. The Savage cost about 175-200 less, yet shoots just as well as any rifle I have shot. It is not as pretty, and the action is not as nice. I do like that Savage though. Guess you need to make that choice for yourself.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Well any of the rifles you mentioned are good rifles. I can not say enough for the Thompson Center line of rifles. I own enough of them. I also own a Knight and a couple CVA's. All of them are excellent shooters. If all your going to do is use it for five extra days a year, and your shots are going to be 100 yards or less, and your not one who loves to punch holes in paper, then the CVA would do you just fine.

Go in and shoulder the weapons. See which one fits you the best. All of them have a great warranty so if price is a factor then get the Optima Pro. If your shots are 100 yards or less, save a little more and get the shorter barrel version the Optima....

I personally would go for the Omega. I think Thompson Center is a great rifle... hands down.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Listen to Cayugad he knows his stuff!!!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: hunter25

I'm new to this muzzleloader thing (like many), and have been doing my research on which gun to buy. I've been jumping from a T/C Omega, Knight Wolverine or Revolution, CVA Optima Pro, etc., etc. In a normal year in Illinois, at most there are only seven days you have to use a muzzleloader (four days for 2nd shotgun season and a three day muzzleloader season). I don't mind spending the extra money on a T/C or Knight, but is it really going to make a difference if I buy a CVA or another less expensive brand? Many of you are experts in the field and if there is a significant difference in manufacturers, I would appreciate the feedback. The guy that runs the local proshop all but tried talking me out of spending the extra money on an Omega. Claimed the CVA Optima Pro was easier to clean and provided the same accuracy as a Knight or T/C. I've known him for years and I know he's looking after my best interest (and wallet), but wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!
I too live in Illinois (down in Northern Pike). There are a total of 10 days you can use a muzzleloader (they are legal firearms during the regular season as well) and maybe a few more if your county regularly gets pistol permits (assuming the rule change passes).

I got into muzzleloading to try to get in on the extra hunting days, but got hooked pretty quickly. Shooting a mildly recoiling muzzleloader is more preferable to my old 12 ga. sluggun. I now have 5, 6 if you count my wife's which I shoot more than her. Just get the best one you can afford, it'll pay off in the long run. If you like the Omega get it. I have one and I love it.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice guys. Wolfhound76, I read that we might be able to use a shotgun and muzzleloader during the handgun season, but didn't know if they made a decision on that yet. I have only one buddy that currently uses a muzzleloader. He's going to help me get off to a good start, sighting gun (w/ scope) in, etc. Just excited to get into this type of hunting.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
bigcountry

I have had them all. CVA's and Traditions are great buys for the price they charge. But as usual you get what you pay for. Barrels are usually a tad rougher than they should be, bedding is iffy. Little imperfections here and there, but will easily kill a whitetail. A feller on here said he wore out his barrel. Which is hard to do with a muzzleloader. T/C Encores, and Omegas seem like one great gun. Especially the Encore.

I have knights right now, and love thier accuracy. I believe these barrels are the best. I like their stocks too. Only complains on Knight is their one screw design to hold the action in the stock. And I don't see the point of the screw in safety. Other than that, great gun. I don't believe they are worth 500 dollars. I never paid that much for them.

I have a T/C sidelock that has taken a boat load of deer.

I say stick with the T/C and knights. Sounds like you will be using it for a while.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 AM

I haven't heard anything either. My father in law says that it passed, but I've found nothing to confirm it, so I'm adopting a wait and see approach.

Just curious, but where are you at in Fulton? I've got family up in Canton and Ipava.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Omega,quality and TC's customer service are worth the $
Old 08-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have knights right now, and love thier accuracy. I believe these barrels are the best.
They are the best, Knight uses green mountain barrels. Green mountain makes a darn good barrel period, Hands down No questions asked.

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader Info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.