Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Q about maxi balls... >

Q about maxi balls...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Q about maxi balls...

Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Q about maxi balls...

When I used them as a kid in my 54 Renegade, I just filled up the grooves with Crisco (really) and shot. Should I decide to start shooting the gun again, Should I use these fiber wads between the powder charge and the maxi ball? should I use a different lube? (I've got a lot of un-lubed maxi balls on hand.)

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Q about maxi balls...

Crisco still works, I usually use a firm lube, or the T/C Lube, no you don't need the fiber wad, it does help a little with real heavy charges.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 AM
bigcountry

I used them for a while, the maxihunters that is in my inlines. But I couldn't keep them in place. When lowering my gun from a tree stand, they would slide to the top of the barrel. Maybe a lubed patch would be better.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say anything about the wads, never used them. I think if you did use them, you would still want to lube the bullet. Makes sense to me.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Wonderwads might or might not help with the accuracy of the projectile. The best way to find out is to test the maxi balls with the wads. They act as a buffer. When I shoot Triple Se7en I find better accuracy with the wads because of the heat the powder produces. With Goex that is not a problem. I personally do not think they would help but you could try..

As for lube, if you want to use Crisco, thats fine. Just keep in mind that in hot temps and hot barrels, Crisco will start to melt. So if you were going to sit outside and shoot targets, swabbing between shots, crisco would be fine. If you were going to load it and hunt in any high temps, then you might be a little concerned. Especially if the barrel was getting hot in the sun.

For that reason I would go with a harder lube. Bore Butter is a good conical lube without a doubt. I personally make my own out of beeswax, olive oil and castor oil with a little murphys oil soap. It seems to work real good and depending on the amount of castor oil or olive oil I add, I can make the lube as stiff or soft as I want. The stiff kind does not melt even when outside sitting on a table in the sun.

Be sure and use a bore brush in the barrel after you're done to make sure you clean out all the lands and grooves in the barrel. Also watch for leading when using maxi balls if you are pushing them with high powder charges.