Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Interchangable Scopes?? >

Interchangable Scopes??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Interchangable Scopes??

Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Interchangable Scopes??

Is it practical to take a scope from from one rifle & use it on another. This being an economical solution to having a separate scope for every gun.
I just picked up a CVA Staghorn & was thinking of mounting it with a scope that currently sits on my Marlin 30/30 that rarely gets shot.
Any suggestions?
MB
Old 07-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interchangable Scopes??

Chef, if the 30/30 scope rarely gets used or you may use it in a pinch in a back up role then I think it is practical. However to move between guns during the fall between season isn't practical IMHO. Personally when I go to the range I take my ML and Cf's to practice with, making it not feasible or practical to switch out scopes/zero's.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's very unlikely (95% chance) you will get away with swapping one scope/ring assembly on two completely different rifles (centerfire/muzzleloader) continuously without re-sighting in.

Here is an inexpensive "complete" scope assembly for your Staghorn that only costs $69 & forum members say it will hold up to 100 grain powder charges.

CVA Muzzleloader Scope Outfit/Kit
Old 07-21-2004, 01:18 PM

Chef,

If you want to move your scope from the 30/30 to your in-line, you should be able to do so with no problems. The rings and bases on the other hand are another story. You may need to attain new ones to install it on your CVA. I moved a Bushnell I had placed on my Mossberg Shotgun to my 30-06 with no problems. You will need to resight in the CVA.

I did have a problem with my scope on my CVA Firebolt. The bases loosed up after shooting at the range and hunting. So to correct this problem, after hunting season, I put on locktight washers on the bases. Now they are tight and will not be a problem this year.

T