Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wolverine

Old 06-13-2004, 03:06 PM

Default wolverine

hi all,
i am looking at getting a backup blackpowder gun. i found a knight wolverine 209, 22" stainless and black for $187.00 new. i have never had a plunger type gun. how hard is it to clean and to take apart. any pro's or con's, thanks
"dw"
Old 06-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: wolverine

It is a great shooting rifle. It will not be your back up gun for long if you buy it. I have the LK-93 model which is the #11 cap ignition. A great shooting dependable gun.

The plunger is easy to clean. You pull the plunger, drop the trigger with one screw, and then all you do is clean the pipe. After you clean the breech plug, the nipple, and the end of the plunger, you oil it up and reassemble and it is ready to go again.

The rifle is real well balanced, shoulders great, has excellent sights, and it will really put the bullets into the bullseye for you. I have not done a lot of long range shooting yet, but I have done a lot of 50 yard line stuff, and this rifle is a real shooter.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:57 AM
bigcountry

Very easy gun to clean. Got the same one, one of knights first wolverines. I got pinpoint accuracy with No11's but still get 3" or so groups at 100 yards with 209 pimers and 95gr of pyrodex and 240gr XTP.

Old 06-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the Wolverine II 22" is going to be your backup ML, then please tell us what your primary ML is?

Also, is that $187 Wolverine fitted with a 209 primer? If not, it's not such a great deal. Ultout.com has the 26" version with 209 primer for around $250 (AND) Basspro.com has the winter & spring's Best Buy... a 26" camo-stock T/C Black Diamond XR 26" with all three ignitions for only $199.

None of these guns I mentioned above are backup guns. They are all fine MLs with great prices at the specified retail outlets I supplied in the paragraph above.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Triple, I think that only the original wolverine came without the 209, I believe the Wolverine II is the 209. I pretty sure every wolverine since 02 came with the 09 ignition.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought my Knight Wolverine II LK-93 just a few months ago, and it did not come with 209 ignition. It only has the #11 caps ignition. So far with all the shooting I have done, I do not see this as a problem. I have been shooting black powder and this thing goes off as fast as my Black Diamond XR with the 209 ignition. I have been running musket caps in the Staghorn and that is another nice option although the musket caps tend to fall off if your not careful.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:08 PM

i got the knight yesterday on the big brown truck. it is very nice. it has the 209 full plastic jacket. very easy to take apart as mentioned here. my primary gun is an omega 50 cal thumbhole in ss. i dont care much for the black diamond. i think i got a good deal.
"dw"
Old 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I think you got a good deal too. You're going to think you got an even better deal the first time you try it out at the range. This wolverine of mine is an excellent shooting rifle. I think if I mounted a scope on it, that it would keep up with my Black Diamond XR for group sizes.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

do it to it

Yep... that was a very good bargain for the stainless Wolverine II 209. Real nice primary gun also (Omega Thumbhole). You made two excellent choices there.

You may want to start-off shooting Knight, Hornady or Barnes sabot/bullets. The bore on the Wolve is around .02 wider than your typical Omega. Those three bullet providers above seem to fit Knight rifles best.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

where do i look to get a deal on the wolverine?

Quick Reply: wolverine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.