Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Stuck Breech Plug HELP >

Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Here is the story. Last night I shot my new (first shooting) BP Traditions 2000. It has a percussion cap on the end of the breech plug with a hammer and Monnel barrel. The breech plug screws into the end of the muzzle. At the warehouse where I bought it the smithy had removed the Breech plug I think any way he played with it for a while to give instruction to some noodle brain sales person who acted as go between to give me basic instructions on how to break down the BP. So after 12 shots when I got home the Breech plug was stuck I mean with all my strength and well fitting wrenches I could only get 1/10 of a turn per try and after approximately 2 turns she locked up completely. In frustration I heated the breech and finally with a lot of hard wrenching finally got the plug out. About ½ way out it got a bit easier. I am pretty sure it was never greased. After a good cleaning I buttered the plug and it went back in with finger tightening. Is this common? Did the lack of butter cause this? Any other suggestions to stop this in the future?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 AM

Default RE: Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Two things, the first, I have also used bore butter in my breach plug and I did notice that when I shot my CVA inline, and the barrel heated up, the bore butter turned into a liquid. I was able to still remove the plug but concerned that if the bore butter turned into a liquid and burrned off, than I would also have a problem with stuck breech plug. There is a grease for breech plus that you can purchase and use to prevent that from happening, or use any grease that when heated, will not break down. I have also heard you can use crisco.

Have you contacted Traditions to inform them of your situation, since you are just shooting it for the first time? The barrel should have been greased at the manufacture to prevent this and if that is not the case and you damaged the barrel when removing the breech, than they should repace it, no charge since they do stand by their products. I have a Traditions Deerhunter flint but my breaach is not removable.

T
Old 05-26-2004, 08:02 AM

You really need breech plug grease for that. Cover it thick. The high heat will cause anything else to break down quickly. After that many shots even high temp grease will break down. I clean my inline after around 5-6 shots, anymore and the build up starts to cause problems. I've heard that hot wrenching a plug like that can weaken the breech, you might want to check on that. I don't know just what I've been told. Good Luck
Old 05-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never heard of a Traditions 2000! Is a commemorative rifle? What is the "real" model name... ie... Deerhunter, Panther, E-Bolt... etc? Is it a sidelock or inline?

Generally, sidelocks come with permanent (non-removable) breechplugs. Inlines come with a breechplug installed -- but never greased & ready for range work. All new rifles need to be thoroughly dismantled & cleaned first. No manufacturer is responsible for stuck breechplugs with inlines upon shipment to their distributors.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:33 AM

i use breechplug grease on mine.it never has given me any problems.it is a knight LK-93 .50 cal. however,i have never shot mine that many times to get it that hot.i normally,run a patch through my barrel between shots,so the barrel never gets hot and i take the bolt out and clean the barrel and grease the breechplug if i am sighting in a scope or trying a new bullet.i imagine the smitty did a poor job of greasing the plug prior to screwing it back in.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:46 AM

CVA makes a breech plug grease,it came with my gun.that is all I use and have never had a problem.
check at your local gun shop they should have some.
or you can get it from Cabelas or bass pro.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

The best breech plug grease on the market is made by CVA. I am telling you I have tried them all and it is the only one I will use now. Since I went to CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease I have never had another problem.

Thompson Center Breech Plug Grease seized up on me and like Striper Phil, my plug was stuck. In fact I broke the wrench that came with the Black Diamond XR rifle trying to free it. I finally had to go to the shop and get the tool out and force it out with brute strength which I hated to do.

I have tried the Knight & T/C anti seize, and the stuff you buy at NAPA Auto store called Anti Seize Paste... they are my back up for if I should ever run out of CVA.

The important thing to remember with breech plugs is coat all the threads on the plug and do not tighten the plug into the rifle as hard as you can. I only finger tighten it in, and as you shoot it will tighten itself. Also after five shots, take your wrench and give that plug a little turn. You will feel the fact it has tightened already. I shot my CVA Staghorn Magnum today and the seize worked perfect.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion,
apply automotive anti-sieze to the plug [it is heat resistant]
or: 1 1/2 wraps of plumbers teflon tape.
both work great, although not your standard "possibles"
I'll probably hear some outcry over this, but neither is affected much from shooting.
Anyone else ever try this?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way,
auto anti-sieze is what a mech. puts on your spark plugs so they can be removed after many million "shots", and I can assure you it does NOT melt out. A spark plug is just like a breech plug and gets removed and cleaned a whole lot less often!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the pink plumbers teflon tape most of time but have used anti seize or breech grease. I also remove my breech and nipple immediatley following my last shot at the range, as it is warm and removes quite easily then.

Quick Reply: Stuck Breech Plug HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.