Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 loose powder or pellets >

loose powder or pellets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loose powder or pellets

Old 04-25-2004, 11:48 AM

Default loose powder or pellets

hey guys
i was woundering if you guys could help me out i've debating on going to pellets. i've tried both but i can't really tell which one perfrom better.
I shoot 100 grns with a 240 grns sabots out of my traditions .50 cal inline.

get close
Old 04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: loose powder or pellets

Loose powder without question. There are a couple reasons. First the loose powder is much more cost effective. Pellets are expensive especially if you do a lot of shooting like many of us.

The other thing is, it is hard to fine tune your rifle with pellets. For instance, I have a Black Diamond XR and when I shoot the Hornady XTP's it likes 110 grains of powder. So now I would have to remember to have two 30 grain pellets and one 50 grain pellet, or I can pour my loose into a clear see through measure, cut the top of the charge with the built in funnel and pour.

I have a CVA like likes 80+ grains of Triple Se7en. I set the measure just over the 80 grain mark and it shoots fantastic.

The other reason is I think loose powder ignites better then pellets. You have to put your pellets in a certain way, and make sure they do not clunk around and break up a little in your hunting sack. I just pour loose powder charges into plastic film canisters when I hunt and carry four of them.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never used or bought pellets until I got my Knight Disc a few years ago.I use the pellets strictly for hunting.I'll use pellets making sure it's still sighted in of course using my same hunting load..
Cayugad is correct on his comments. Using loose powder is allot more cost efficent to use.It is easier to fine tune your load using loose powder.My main reason using the pellets is the convenience.The little shooting I get to do, I don't mind the extra I'm paying for the pellets.If I could start shooting regularly again the Loose BP would be used.In my Traditional ML's nothing but 3Fg has ever gone down the barrel.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a pellet shooter, but generally speaking, pellets are more target-consistent because their "per pellet" weight and volume is again generally more exact.

The more exact you are -- the better you shoot muzzleloaders. Weigh your bullets then put them into table groups to be more exact... seat you bullet with exact pressure every time..... squeeze the trigger & exhale & hold your breath with the same finger/lung pressure.... etc... etc.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pellets are more weight & volume consistent than brass powder measures housing loose powder & those brass powder measures (5-120 grains) are what most shooters use when pouring their favorite powder/powder substitute out of the jug.

Having said that, I shoot loose powder 100% of the time. Pellets are 1/3rd more at the cash register than loose powder & I can afford to buy them, but I'm afraid that once I buy the first box of 100, I'll be hooked. Also, since I use 110 grains 777 loose, that means I need (2) 50-grain 777 pellets and (1) 30-grain pellet 777 to match the velocity/energy of 777 loose powder.... which is 15% more powerful than 777 pellets.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used both and really what ever works I say go with it. Personally for hunting I like the idea of pellets, especially when you consider how nasty it can be in these parts come October. I have been lucky that 100gr. pyrodex with 240XTP's provides me with excellent results, as such I use loose to practice with and switch to pellets right before season. It hasn't caused me any problems and is much easier on the pocket.

This year I am going to try loose T7 and if it goes well I will be back to carry a measurer. I wouldn't bother with T7 pellets for reasons mentioned already.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:17 AM

thanks guys

you guys have help me out alot i'm going to the store the next time and i will pick up some more loose powder. one more question what is so great about triple 7?

get close
Old 05-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en is a dream to clean. Simple water, a little scrubbing, and it comes right out. You also get more shots per pound because it is 15% stronger then Pyrodex or Black Powder. There is less stink when you shoot it in my opinion. I feel is ignites excellent, even with the #11 primers in the sidelocks and the Knight Wolverine.

There are some disadvantages too. Besides the extra cost, some people experience the dreaded crud ring. I personally swab between shots and do not shoot magnum loads and crud build up has never really been a problem. I was also told it like to attract moisture but again, I have never seen this as a problem. It sure can not be as bad as the old Clean Shot.

Some rifles like it, some rifles hate the stuff. I have two sidelocks that do not seem to like it, yet they shoot excellent with Pyrodex P. My inlines seem to like Triple Se7en without doubt. Although they shoot with Pyrodex as well.

The best thing you can do is give it a try. If your shooting in lines be sure and check your breech plug after so many shots to make sure it is still moving.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot tripple seven pellets and i love them ive never tried loose powder before but im happy with the pellets my traditions lightening shoots dead on with the pellets i use to just shoot regular pyrodex pellets then this year i tried the tripple seven and it is truley easy to clean the old stuff took solvents and this new stuff just takes water and it dosent smell as bad as the other stuff
Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

I started with loose powder and now shoot pellets. I will probably never switch back.
As stated earlier the shot to shot consistency is, with my experience, is a lot better. Just seems like less can go wrong, no granules of powder getting blown away changing my charge, etc.
The drawback is, your gun had better like either 100gr or 150gr with your given bullet, because there is not as much control like w/ loose powder.
But my Encore loves 150gr of Pyro pellets and those 200gr Shockwave bullets.

Quick Reply: loose powder or pellets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.