Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 frizzen break in.... >

frizzen break in....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

frizzen break in....

Old 03-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default frizzen break in....

is there any special way to break in a new frizzen?? i got my lyman frizzen working nicely on my TC hawken...now to get it to spark like a champ.....i got most of the finish off except for a little bit....should i sand it or anything or just keep fireing it till its all wore off?? anything special i should do?? thanx alot guys.....all i had to do to get my frizzen working was file it down some and adjust the spring that works the frizzen.....i had to loosen it up some.....any advice for the frizzen break in?? thanx
Old 03-24-2004, 05:54 AM

Default RE: frizzen break in....

Mauser,

They only way I would break in a new frizzen would be to take the gun to the range and blast away. After 20 or more shots, shooting as it should, I would think you have broken it in. Nothing special to do but make sure it functions as it should.

I usually only sand down my frizzen when I haven't shot the gun for a while and it hasn't been used.

T
Old 03-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

i found some old threads on this and gave it a light sanding with 280 grit just to remove the finish...took the lock out side primed it and it was making smoke like a champ.....i cant believe how fast it is....my lock time should be GREAT now......and flint life should be better then 10 shots max like it was with my old frizzen.....i actually shot at a deer with the best flint i had out of 20....and it exploded....and after firing it 2 or 3 times during the season i had to replace the flint.....ive "fired" mine about 30 times and the flint was still in good shape making sparks.....i got a better touchhole too....so it should be like a rifle now.....before there was barely any lag.....now there should be way less....thanx alot for the reply....i actually did fire it about 20 times but not all the finish came off......so i sanded it lightly......i actually think i was sold a rehardened frizzen......the outside finish is worn looking and the frizzen face had a hard black finish.....and it has a pit at the top.......but it works..so im not complaining......i never seen a lyman frizzen either so it may been new.......
Old 03-25-2004, 05:53 AM

Mauser,

I'm glad it's working for you. I have what I would call a low cost flint lock, Traditions Deerhunter. I picked it up at Gander mountain in a complete package and so far, I'm happy with it.

I've been lucky and so far only had problems with the plastic light optic shights so I replaced them with Tru-glow and I'm very happy. I've been using the English flints and shoot this gun more than any other gun I have. It takes me more practice to keep it shooting quickly and accurately. I can usually go many many shots prior to replacing flints. The frizzen is now slightly pitted but it still works fine so I don't know yet when I should replace it. I guess when it doesn't work, I'll have to make the change.

I don't have a lyman frizzen, but the Traditions one that came with it. Anyway, good luck with it....

T
Old 03-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

my friend has a traditions deerhunter.....nice little gun......but i was looking for a classic looking muzzleloader.......even though it has a sling and fiberoptic sites now lol........it has a rather......interesting look....blackend brass parts.....beutiful walnut stock with a hand rubbed trroil finish i did myself.....and the sling and fiberoptic sights lol.......im happy with how my project came out......my first gun job ive ever done.....and i have alot of hours into it........next year i want to atleast shot my does with the flinter......hopefully all my deer.....but in foul weather or major deer drives ill have the mauser when im horn hunting......cant wait to shoot m gun........i doubt i get too till after turkey season now......trout fishings coming.....and then right into turkey season......and dad wont let me goto a range and shoot myself yet..(17....you know...just got the liscense 6 months ago and they are still setting the laws.....) he had no problem with me hunting alone....and fishing alone....but i guess going to a range he dont want me doing something stupid or being in the middle of someoneelses stupidity....theres alot of that out there....i also use the english flints....tried all kinds and they are the best in my lock.....cant wait for the season!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:51 AM

Mauser,

I know what you mean about the range. I also get nervous when there are many other people already there.

When I'm sighting in the gun, I usually only take 2 or 3 shots at 100 yards to see where I'm hitting the target. Then wait so I usually like going when few people or nobody is there, or I will take a few shots at 25 yards in the woods behind the house before heading over. The range is about 6 miles away from my home.

I started fishing by myself when I was about 8 in the 60's, but on Long Island at that time, there weren't too many crazies. My son is 11 now, doesn't have a desire to hunt which I'm ok with and doesn't fish. I do take him scouting with me sometimes and he does like that. I hope in a few years he too will want to go hunting. When I was his age, I was spending hours fishing and scouting through the woods. Times have changed and I don't force then to do only what they want to do. He still plays baseball and soccer so I'm happy with that, plus plays Game Cube.

Enjoy your gun and I would like to do the same one day and build me a nice Hawkins.

There is a guy his name is Bob that comes here sometimes and all he uses is a flint lock hawkins, plus an old PSE wooden compound, and he gets deer every year.

If you practice enough and can take the shot safely at the right moment, than it does not matter if you use a flint lock rifle or a 30-06.

Tom