Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Adjustable triggers on Black Powder >

Adjustable triggers on Black Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Adjustable triggers on Black Powder

Old 03-09-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Adjustable triggers on Black Powder

I took apart my black powder rifle yesterday to give it a good cleaning. I noticed an ajustment screw that looks like a trigger adjustment screw like on rifles. My black powder has a bunch of travel in the trigger and would like to adjust it.

Is this screw a trigger adjustment? It is on a traditions black powder. Does anyone know how to adjust this screw?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:44 AM

Default RE: Adjustable triggers on Black Powder

Hey Stone Cold,

How are you?

Anyway, I have a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock rifle and there is a screw in the trigger assembly that will adjust the pull on the trigger and how hard the flint strikes the frizzum. Be careful, if you have a flintlock or percussion, which you did not state which, this will affect how it strikes the frizzum or nipple. I did this once, adjusted the screw and assembled the gun, and the flint was not creating a spark since it was striking the frizzum too lightly.

Good luck,

T
Old 03-09-2004, 01:25 PM

Tomster,

Doing good. I have the inline with the 209 primer. How do you go about adjustment? Do you just tighten or loosen the nut?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 02:43 PM

E-mail Traditions with that question, their manuals are rather vague as to what you can/can't do with their guns but they usually pretty good about answering any questions you have. They've responded within 2 days to every question I have asked them.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:04 AM

Stone Cold,

I agree with hmcpop about emailing traditions. I too had done that when I had a problem with my sights on my Deerhunter. I found that the light optic sights are garbage and had to replace them at my cost with fiber optic sights. But Traditions did respond to my email stating they would replace my original sights with the same garbage sights.

I too have an inline but a CVA, and my trigger pull on that rifle is sweet so I don't play around with it.

You could also bring your gun to the local pro or gun shop and they might help you. I had done that when I wanted to put a scope on my mossberg shotgun. They were very helpful.

Also, you could try Traditions website.

Let us know what works for you.

T
Old 03-10-2004, 11:37 AM

Stone Cold,

I went on Traditions website and opened the manual for the E-Bolt 209 and the TRacker 209 inlines. On page 16 or 22 from the pdf file, it discussed the Adjustable Trigger. This is what it states:

Your rifle has an adjustable trigger that has been preset at the factory for optimum hunting performance. The adjustment screws have been fixed at the factory with a thread locking sealant. Than they have a Warning stating only the factory or a certified gunsmith can make the adjustment. Also the Trigger pull should never be set less than three pounds.

I hope this helps....

T
Old 03-10-2004, 03:16 PM

It helps but I was hoping that someone knew how to do it. I don't want to spend $45 on a trigger job for a $100 rifle.

If any of you guys can give me a general "what to do" with this adjustment screw....I will play with it.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shootin' in the dark here, but if the rifle's trigger only has ONE adjustment screw it is probably only for weight of pull and would not fix your problem. Increasing weight of pull might help a little but ?? Generally such screws follow the lefty-loosey, righty-tighty rule.....loosen to reduce weight, tighten to increase. Overtravel and sear engagement would generally be separate adjustments and apparently are not included on your rifle.

So, my best advice is to leave it alone.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the advice....that is the kind of advice I was looking for.....Would wrather you have said that I could fix it.....but.......LOL