Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bobcat Rifle / PR Bullets

" I am very pleased with my CVA Bobcat..... The PR Bullets are easy to load when properly lubed. ...The first 2-3 shots out of the clean barrel are usually off 3-6".
=============================================

Your first three shots are between 3-6" off your POI & you are pleased about that?? Does that mean you'll be shooting (3) live loads prior to entering the woods for your morning-hunt??
Old 03-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a .54 caliber Mountain Stalker which is the same as the Bobcat. I have to agree with Triple Se7en, if the rifle needs three shots before it comes into its point of aim, then I might be a little worried. Perhaps the charge needs to be lowered. Your almost at a max load with that 80 grains since the book says no more then 100 grains of Pyrodex or Black Powder.

My rifle shoots round balls fantastic. 80 grains of Triple Se7en FFg, a wonder wad and a patched round ball. With this load it is deadly, first and last shot. Like your rifle, fowliong does not seem to be a factor. I swab every third or fourth shot with it.

When I shoot conicals I have to knock the charge down to 70 grains. Other then that it is a great shooting rifle. As for recoil, I took a pad and taped it to the stock, then covered the padding with a black stretch sock. My shoulder can take the blast but it is the cheek bone that gets punished with me. Other then that it is a deer killing machine with round balls.

Good luck with your rifle. Sounds like you have a good shooter.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

This brings up a point about shooting frequency. When I used pyrodex in my 54 caliber Renegade, I didn't go shoot that often because it was a bear to clean and my shoulder didn't enjoy the abuse.

Now I use 777 in my Omega with a Limb-saver slipon recoil pad and I love to go shoot it. Haven't had a hangfire since going to the Omega. I always seem to have them at the range with the Renegade. Clean up is much faster/easier, probably mainly due to 777, but also maybe to the Omega set up. And my shoulder/neck doesn't hurt for a couple of days after shooting it with the pad. I purchased the medium slip on recoil pad and it fits on not only my Omega but several other rifles as well (fits winchester model 70's). However, as stated, my cheek does feel the "slap" becasue of the recoil pad allowing the gun to go furthur backward relative to my cheek.

All in all, it is much more fun to go out and shoot.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Ifferd .. I see what you mean now.. All your doing is fowling the barrel. I have two rifles that shoot a heck of a lot better if I fowl the barrel. I have never shot the PR bullets. I will have to look at them as they sound interesting. How do you think they will work on deer?

Looking at their site, I have shot their bullets. I shot some of the 300 grain Silver Lightening. They shot fantastic. I shot them out of my Black Diamond and my Staghorn and the groups were excellent. The only draw back to them were the cost. But yes, those will work great on deer.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Ifferd.. I forgot to mention if case you want to check into it. Last week I was at the local Wal Mart and they had a set of STAR DOT FIBER OPTIC MUZZLELOADER SIGHTS made by Highlander Sports Inc. for $24.95 that fit the Bobcats and Mountain Stalkers. So I bought them and mounted them on the Stalker. What a difference they made in the sight picture. If they are legal where you hunt you might want to look into them if that interests you....
Old 03-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]