Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Wal Mart...maybe no more black powder >

Wal Mart...maybe no more black powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wal Mart...maybe no more black powder

Old 02-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wal Mart...maybe no more black powder

I was in WalMart yesterday, and the guy at sporting goods told me that there is a rumor that they may not be carrying any black powder guns or supplies anymore, after this year. I hope that this isn't the first step to them stopping the sales of all guns and/or hunting supplies.
Charlie
Old 02-29-2004, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Wal Mart...maybe no more black powder

it could be because they do not have to do the background check on muzzleloaders.they are sold over the counter with only records of receiving and selling them.anyone can come in and buy one if they have the money.just guessing.plus the exploision or fire insurance consideration.who knows.i believe the anti-gun laws are getting to the point that major retailers are afraid of accountability lawsuits when some idiot kills someone and the survivor family wants to sue somebody.the liberals have been trying to find a way to sue the gun manufactureres about firearms deaths.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

i noticed neither walmart around here has any blackpowder gear left.....a gun or 2 that they are getting rid of and thats it......they had all their stuff marked down really low.....but i got there a day to late and most of it was gone.....hmmmm i hope not..........
Old 02-29-2004, 03:19 PM

The Wal-Mart where I live has always been seasonal on it's BP guns and accessories. They clearance everything out after the first of the year and that's it until fall. Guess they think knowbody shoots during the spring and the summer. Another good reason to support your gun shops who take care of you year round, regardless of the season. Also, Wally World is a rip off when it comes to T7 and Pyrodex pellets and loose powder.[:@] They had outrageously high prices on all powders this year. Never take for granted that everything Wal-Mart carries is the "lowest price around". Really doesn't matter much to me if Wal-Mart chooses not to take care of the muzzleloader crowd, I can go to Cabela's or buy over the internet just the same and have it delivered to the doorstep in a few days. Considering the increasing popularity of muzzleloading these days, it would be Wal-Mart's loss and not ours!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Where I live, Wal Mart is about the best place to get any black powder shooting supplies. I have noticed even they are aiming more towards the inline shooters as are many of the stores. For some reason, stores seem to forget there are a lot of traditional rifles still being used out there. One sporting goods store I stopped at carried no loose powder, only pellets, no #11 caps just 209's and sabots, no round balls or patches. When I mentioned this to the owner he seemed upset that I would even comment claiming most people shoot inlines....
Old 03-01-2004, 05:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: loner

it could be because they do not have to do the background check on muzzleloaders.they are sold over the counter with only records of receiving and selling them.anyone can come in and buy one if they have the money.just guessing.plus the exploision or fire insurance consideration.who knows.i believe the anti-gun laws are getting to the point that major retailers are afraid of accountability lawsuits when some idiot kills someone and the survivor family wants to sue somebody.the liberals have been trying to find a way to sue the gun manufactureres about firearms deaths.
I don't know about the Wally where you shop , but mine does the whole enchilada as though it were a centerfire . Background check , lots of paperwork .
Old 03-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Illinois you must fill out a 4473 form and I believe there was a two day waiting period on muzzleloaders.I went with a friend when I was in IL to get him a traditional ML.When the guy told us that, I thought he was pulling our legs. He was dead serious. IL requires it.Remember when America was free.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our Walmart has quite a bit of BP stuff, but most of it is inline.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:37 PM

in mississipi,you can buy a muzzleloader at wal-mart with NO paperwork OR background check.it makes no difference whether it is an inline or not.each state has different laws.shotguns and rifles have very detailed paperwork with background check that normally takes only a few minutes.if it is after normal working hours,you might be on hold until the next day.there is no waiting period unless something shows up in the background check.gun sales cease at 10.00pm.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:02 AM

Loner- Maryland's law is about the same as Mississippi. Muzzleloaders can be bought without background checks, no questions asked. Encores fall into the rifle category since you can switch out the barrels, so they do require paperwork to be filled out.

Back to the Wal-Mart question, I might be stopping by my local Wal-Mart this afternoon so I'll have to see if I can find anything out.

Quick Reply: Wal Mart...maybe no more black powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.