Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

am i messing up?

Old 12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default am i messing up?

i read an article that was posted in a post here i believe its this article http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol4no4/...es/mbo44-3.htm ...very good article but it says he gets alot more shots out of a flint then i can dream of....like 50-100 easy....now i am new to flinting so maybe im doing something wrong.....the only thing that sparks in my rifle so far is black english flints....i tried agates and german agates.....not alot of sparks at all....the black english spark well but dont last long at all in m lock....i use leather and tighten it down really good...but my flints are chipping and breaking badly....after 5 shots at the range last week my flint was crap and wouldnt spark...i had a misfire because of it...so i knapped it to sharpen it somewhat and it fired...but then it was done...luckily i was also.....i think my frizzen needs replaced...its got goueges in it and is pretty worn....so ill have that done after the season.....but why are my flints breaking so badly?? i put them in there even with the frizzen and have them so they are just long enough for the frizzen to close(another problem...i cant get flints to fit in there...i look for short ones and even still some of those wont fit....so im using the ones that do fit) the lady that owns the shop i got my last flints at went through a giant pile found short ones and then looked them over and made sure they had good flats and everything....so my flints are good....i think the lock is the problem.....any advice?? next time i go im taking her the lock....but anything you guys might know to do?? thanx......just wondering.....i dont think they should break so bad after 1 shot....
Old 12-30-2003, 05:12 PM

Default RE: am i messing up?

MAUSER give t/c a call and explain the problems you are having to customer service ,they will advise you to return the lock to them
T/C has a great warranty ,They will replace the lock with new parts or just send you a new one.
I would bet the main problem is your frizzen
Old 12-30-2003, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: am i messing up?

thanx alot......i actually read here that they will upgrade my lock just as a service because its old.....i plan to do that soon....heck they might put a frizzen on free id bet.....and i want to redo the stock and put sights on the barrel so i will have a brandnew gun when its all done.....that would be nice....and i owuldnt have to spend about 3 bucks a shot.....no more buying flints after 1 shot.....and hopefully all the long ones will fit in my new lock or fixed lock.....theres gota be something wrong with it...everyone says 3/4'' fit their tc 50 cal hawken great.....well they are way to long in mine......after the season ill call them and have it taken care of....replace the touchhole get my sights and sling and oh ya redo the stock because i think it looks like plastic and i know the wood has great grain......thanx alot......cant wait.....next year i should have a SWEET shooting gun....and sweet looker......im sure jeramiah johnson didnt have a sling and fiberoptic sights and all the fancy stuff i will have......but like i told my dad.....he would be jealous....me and dad were at the range and i put on a T handle to clean with and he said jeramiah johnson didnt have no T handle for his ram rod....without missing a beat i told my dad he would be jealous! lol.....i dont know how i thought of it so quickly....my gun may not be traditional but i really cant say i am much of a traditionalist....im a nut about accuracy and able to bring a deer down and find it in a hurry......and i want my gun to go bang when i pull the trigger.....i dont like the guessing game...hmmm you think i should aim good this time? the gun probally wont go off....thats not for me.....i love deer hunting to much to not beable to see my sights and to have to worry about a faulty lock and heck....the sling will be nice when im draggin my 300lb buck out of the woods lol.....thanx alot......TC will be getting a call after the season......