Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Really big round ball guns >

Really big round ball guns

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Really big round ball guns

Old 12-12-2003, 01:47 AM

Default Really big round ball guns

Other than October Country, what other sources are there for large bore modern round ball guns? I recall there used to be a few makers who made large caliber barrels for T/C Hawkens. Are there any inline super magnums?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Really big round ball guns

Are there any inline super magnums?
Don't know of any. The inline boys try for power by shooting conicals and sabots, not by increasing the size of their balls!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

When your talking large bore, are you refering to the .54 and .58 calibers? There are many rifles out there that will shoot those size balls. Green Mountain Barrel Company sells drop in barrels for a T/C Hawkins/Renegade that can take you from there all the way into the smoothbore end of the game with the .62 caliber and will make anything you like.

Your other option will be to go after the older Revolutionary War era muskets, the Brown Bess in .75 I believe it was or perhaps .72 caliber. There are also rifles on Dixie Gun Works that get into the larger calibers, the problem with most of them are, they are muskets not rifles.

As you are aware, muskets although accurate to short ranges are not known for there long range accuracy. They do have some tremendous roundball power, but if memory serves me, a standard load for most of the large bore roundball long guns was 70 grains wad and ball.

For instance, I have two .54 caliber rifles. They are considered by some as large bore rifles. I shoot roundball out of them. I load 85 grains of T-7 in one, and with a roundball this thing really has some knock down power.

Hope this helped
Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 AM

Cabelas has a 72cal double rifle. There are several small custom makers that make 62-72cal rifles that use a pretty stiff charge. James A Gefroh, Ft. Collins Co makes a 62cal halfstock that is a hunting rifle. J P Gunstocks, Las Vegas makes large bore rifles. Pacific Rifle in Oregon used to make some big bore rifles, from 62cal all the way up to 4bore. I'm not sure they are in business anymore. Don't recall seeing an ad by them in over a year. I have read how some people have taken an inline that has a removable barrel and had a large bore round ball shooter made to fit their rifle.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

When your talking large bore, are you refering to the .54 and .58 calibers? There are many rifles out there that will shoot those size balls. Green Mountain Barrel Company sells drop in barrels for a T/C Hawkins/Renegade that can take you from there all the way into the smoothbore end of the game with the .62 caliber and will make anything you like.
NO!! Large-bore round-ball guns start with perhaps 12 Ga., and go up to 2-Ga.!!

The 2 ga. shoots a half-pound round ball, like 3500 grains, even!! At .72", that Cabelas Kodiak double would quality, but just barely!! ([8D][&:])
Old 12-14-2003, 01:54 PM

Thanks all.

I have the TC in 54 and 50. I want way bigger, but would settle for anything bigger if it was economical, just inching up a little. The 54 is my round ball barrel, It has somewhat superior ballistics to a 44mag, so it isn't a real powerful thing, but good enough for deer etc...

My only quibble, stupid as it is, for the Kodiak is that it's just a 12.ga. I find it hard spending that kind of money when it's just a 12 ga. I could basicaly just get a rifled slug barrel on my SG.

I know the in-line game is sabots, which I have always much regreted. I don't see why someone who understands the advantages of the old-school approach shouldn't tale that system and customize it around a the superior round ball, but I won't be surprised if it has been done.

I did see this round ball in the local gun shop that some guy had brought in. It was like 1.25". Heh, Heh. Though I got whiplashed in a plane accident, seemingly never to recover, and it probably is something I should avoid.

I would pay a premium for Stainless if I could get it.