Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Two down One to go >

Two down One to go

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Two down One to go

Old 11-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Two down One to go

I just got back from South Dakota deer hunting. I shot two big mule deer does. One with my 257 Roberts and one with my NEF 280. Our muzzle loader season starts Dec 13 and runs through Jan.2004. All of our Muzzle loader tags are Antlerless deer only. Its sort of a doe reduction season. It should be an easy tag to fill as the doe are in hugh supply in the unit I hunt. I saw at least 150 deer during the rifle season. They gather up on those winter wheat fields by the dozens. Several land owner want me to set on thier haystacks and get rid of another doe. They said to bad you ca' t take home a dozen or so. They are already getting into the Haystacks bad and its only snowed a couple times so far. I have a TC Woods rifle, the forerunner to the Black Diamond. And a TC conventioal caplock. both 50 caliber. I shoot 2 pellets behind the Hordady 300 grain XTP HP in the woods rifle and 90 grains of Pyrodex Select and a 260 grain Speer 45 Long Colt bullet in the TC Caplock. I can hardly wait. I have been grinding deer and pork for sausage all day along with deer and beef for Burgers. I have it all made into patties with the little papers between them for handy cooking. I got the patty maker and a new electric grinder at Cabelas in Mitchel a couple weeks ago. How is everyone else doing? Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two down One to go

I got an encore last year but didn' t see a deer but made up for it this year by trying out the encore,took a 8 point with 17 in spread running across a power line and a doe with the new sst bullets.They worked great.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Two down One to go

Way to go. Sounds like you will have some good eating to. I have hunted for about 12 years with the muzzle loaders. Our season is in December and man its cold that time of year. Some of the coldest hunts I have ever been on is that SD muzzle loader season. Field dressing those critters when its well below zero is hard on the hands and feet.