Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
One Breech Plug--Any Omega--Any Primer >

One Breech Plug--Any Omega--Any Primer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

One Breech Plug--Any Omega--Any Primer

Old 10-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default One Breech Plug--Any Omega--Any Primer

It looks like a standard Omega breech plug; it isn't. It allows the use of any standard shotgun primer, resulting in zero blow by. It does this in seven different Omega rifles. There has been about 1400 shots through this breech plug.

After centering the breech plug, a 0.244" end mill, was used to make the primer socket 0.019" deeper. This allows one to utilize a metric o-ring under the primer. Why do this? It completely stops blow by around the nose of the primer; the primer seat will never get flame cut. Because the o-ring is flexible, the plug can use the shortest STS primer, and the longest W209 primer, and neither causes blow by. Of course the 209A primer works too. Also, i assume the CCI primers will also work perfectly.

After about 700 shots, the flash hole had eroded to 0.036"; a vent liner was installed.

To me it is kinda/sorta interesting the plug could be mailed anywhere in the world; produce perfect results using any primer, in any Omega rifle. At least i presume; i have only used it in seven rifles. One couldn't do this in CVA, nor Knight rifles. Will this plug ever wear out?

_

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 10-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the primer pocket will wear out eventually using those orings. If you set the head space to a specific primer with the metal ones I think it could last forever. Obviously with it drilled out for a vent liner that is. CCI primers are the most consistent primers I own size wise. I'm setting all my head spacing with CCI primers now.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the primer pocket will wear out eventually using those orings..........
Over the years i certainly have seen primer pockets get flame cut, and ruined. This plug never gets any flame around the nose of the primer, ever. What is it you believe will cause the wear of the pocket? Nothing is working on it? Maybe 1200 shots, maybe more, so far, judging by the big primer box, and more, emptied.

Of course, nothing lasts forever. ☺

_