Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
50 Caliber 475g, 0.21" HP >

50 Caliber 475g, 0.21" HP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

50 Caliber 475g, 0.21" HP

Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i feel i learned some things. Seems your hunting load using this bullet will expand out to near 300 yard.

______
Old 08-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Near 300 yards? Is he launching them at 3000fps? Because they didn't expand worth a dang at 980fps. At near 300 yards, unless he is seriously launching them at close to 3000fps, he won't be getting much better than 1000fps with that nose profile. With my smokeless and shooting 300gr .250BC Noslers at 2750fps I am only getting 1775fps at 300 and those bullets don't have near that BC. Now granted they are expanding a little at those low speeds and they are blowing up the first couple of water jugs but I wouldn't call that opening up well at all. Will it kill a deer or Elk at 300? Probably would but I still wouldn't call that expanding well.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

52Bore's hunting load is faster than 1000fps and that bullet holds its fps surprisingly well

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-18-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Surprisingly well is an understatement. Only a little over 200fps drop off from muzzle to 200 yards. But still 300 yards would be pushing expectations. At 200, from his initial muzzle velocity, he is only getting 1037 and that is where it is really starting to shed some speed. From 200 to 300 he would be down in the mid 700's to low 800's and ronlaughlin's test clearly showed very little expansion at 980fps. Again, I am not saying it wouldn't take an animal. It would probably drop a deer like a cold hammer. Even just a small expansion from a full bore .50 475 grain bullet would be a devastating buster. I am just commenting on the expansion statement
Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chart shows 52bore' hunting load. At 300 yard, the bullet is traveling at 966 fps, with 984 ftlb energy. Yesterday morning at 25 yard i clocked the bullet at 973 fps, and when found after smucking jugs, it looked like.............

What a pretty mushroom 'eh? Plenty fine expansion there. The following screen shot shows the front two jugs still in the air, still in the air about 2/3 second after impact. The hydraulic shock not only put them jugs in the air, it also flew the carpet/plywood high in the air, and a way out 35 feet.

It should be quite obvious to anyone, any deer hit properly out near 300 yard, with this load/bullet will be killed.

___
Old 08-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Spike

These 50 conical experiments were to see how large the HP in pure soft lead needs to be to start expanding. It just worked out that Ron's 35g W / 50g V BH209 was about 1000fps - any propellant could have been used.
Then again, 300 yards just happen to be where this occurred..
I would think if the bullet were to strike bone inside an animal it would expand more than the plywood and still have the rear-end (350gr) to keep penetrating.

If you compare the LabRadar numbers displayed, no BC is exact on every number on Hornady's ballistic calculator, but 0.3 BC is very close and nearly identical to the last value at 200 (1037:1035).

All part of the fun and Ron graciously agreed to assist..
Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Okay, first off, I think some of these ballistic programs are a bit on the retarded side. Now I am nowhere near the math guy my dad was but this one little rule doesn't escape me. From 100 to 200 yards the calculator says it will lose approximately 96fps. But from 200 to 300 yards it will only lose 69fps more? Complete horse crap there. It just doesn't work that way. Gravity and resistance of air doesn't let it. Now granted I do understand that the slower it is going, the less resistance it will have to air, but not that much. Momentum only works so hard. And that open hollow point as well as a fairly wide meplat is in no way whatsoever going to give it a 0.300 BC. I wouldn't mind testing this myself. 52bore, if you wouldn't mind sending a few for me to dial in where I can accurately put it through a chrony at 300 yards I'd be more than happy to oblige. Just to settle my curiosity. I would need a few to dial in though, chrony's are fairly expensive and I've already seen what a bullet does to one when someone chucks the shot. The old man was pretty pissed at himself. Kind of mad at me too for nearly falling down I was laughing so hard. But it was so damn funny. The stream of words coming from his mouth when he saw his $$$ chrony literally blow up was just hilarious. Just glad he taught me to duck at an early age. That backhand woulda hurt.
Now after saying all that, I am in no way saying that bullet wouldn't be a buck dropper. I've already said it would be a cold hammer to a deer. But I think at your launching speeds of 1298, 300 yards without a solid bone hit would be asking a bit much of it. I just don't think it would open at all on a non shoulder double lung. Granted I'm sure it would more than likely blow through both lungs and may even exit as that bullet has a lot of rear end to it. But you might be in for a bit of a tracking job. If you want to, PM me and Ill send you an address to send a few to. I'll get reading at 100, 200, and 300 and may even run a trap at all 3.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shows what the difference in diameter of a hollow point can do. It also shows exactly where they went wrong on the PB's.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

........From 100 to 200 yards the calculator says it will lose approximately 96fps. But from 200 to 300 yards it will only lose 69fps more? Complete horse crap there. It just doesn't work that way. Gravity and resistance of air doesn't let it..........
Two things.

1. The force air exerts on the bullet is proportional to the square of the speed of the bullet. The force of the air on the bullet is therefore less when the bullet is traveling between 200 and 300 yard, than it is when the bullet is traveling between 100 and 200 yard. Less by an amount proportional to the square of the bullet speed. It makes good sense the bullet will slow less.

2. Gravity doesn't slow the bullet. Gravity actually adds speed in the down direction.

__
Old 08-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Spike

If it's any consolation, before I got this LabRadar I used MV from my old choro and my actual MOA to estimate a BC of a bullet thru any ballistic program. The LabRadar data just gives the down range data to go along with my actual MOA - with this bullet, my actual MOA at 200 & 300 compared to the ballistic program was within 0.2 & 0.6 respectively.
I shot a few shots to 500 (Ram silhouette with the body being 12" belly to top of back and about 30" wide) and the moa at that distance is +0.4moa on the ballistic program compared to my turret, so the input data of MV1268, BC 0.3 is nearly identical to what actually occurring - at least to 500.