Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
475 Conical, 0.15 HP >

475 Conical, 0.15 HP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

475 Conical, 0.15 HP

Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 475 Conical, 0.15 HP

Rick sent more bullets to catch. These have a 0.15" hollow point instead of 0.125 hollow point.

The trap consists of carpet glued to 3/8" plywood, then six water jugs, then a thick phone book.

The range to the trap is/was 25 yard. First we tried to catch the bullet shot by a powder load of 50 grain Blackhorn. The bullet' speed at 25 yard impact was about 981 fps. The bullet went completely through the trap; wasn't caught. The bullet was found on the ground behind the horse, and wasn't deformed very much. Then the powder charge was increased to 64 grain Blackhorn, which produced a speed at 25 yard of about 1168 fps. This bullet was caught in the fourth water jug, and was nicely mushroomed.

Impact Photo

50 grain Blackhorn

64 grain Blackhorn

__
Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

ronlaughlin, is he drilling those cavities or using a straight pin in the mold? I ask because I was told a long time ago that a cavity without some taper won't function well. And with those being pure lead bullets I am seeing that in evidence. A pure lead bullet with a hollow point should easily open at 980+fps. Especially with that much weight in it.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More Bullet Photo

___