Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My steel vent!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default My steel vent!!!

OK, I need to vent over shooting my BP at steel plate gongs.
I have a couple of 8" 1/4" mild steel plates I take out to the range and shoot at. At normal distances I'd be using at meets that puts the size about the same as the black is on paper...painted black, soft lead leaves a nice hit mark as well as a good swing/noise...I can pound it all day and all I'd do is chip paint.

Well, sighting in the new 50 percussion GPR (first at 25 yard, them started moving out to 100) every thing was doing good...until I got out to the 100 mark AND SURE ENOUGH same dip-sh!t drilled my plate with their damn FMJ bullcrap (something around a 30 cal by the HOLES LEFT!)....ruined the plate and the coward wouldn't even own up to what he/they did and at least offer an apology or explanation.

That's now two of my three plates RUINED!
the first didn't drill all the way through, I hammered down the back bulge and fill the front will JB weld then repainted and it's worked so far (havn'et knocked the weld out yet)
I can't even look at this plate with out getting so damned pissed off, there is no fixing this one.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

How could someone shoot your steel plate at the range and you didn't know who it was?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How could someone shoot your steel plate at the range and you didn't know who it was?
that "range" is nothing more than the old glay pit/quarry from when they built oroville dam, just a flat with some berms and concrete picnic tables people use as benches, no 'shooting lanes', targets placed roughly out in front of you...crap, I've seen everything from old TV's to floor safes tossed out as targets.

guess that teaches me a lesson, if I want to do serious range work (sighting in, load work ups, etc) I need to get to a REAL range (just as far from home in the other direction) but costs $, but is covered, has real shooting benches, isn't windy and has established live fire periods instead of calling out "clear!" and hope everyone does...