Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bloodline performance at lower price!! >

Bloodline performance at lower price!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bloodline performance at lower price!!

Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I wanted a bullet I knew would hold together for bear. I stalk and shots probably won't be long.

I know the Lehigh is designed to break off the petals and then the rest to penetrate. I'm undecided if that is better than having the Barnes stay together and have the expanded size and weight to penetrate and make a wide wound channel? I don't know which is better at stopping a bear?
Actually Pete the Bloodline produces a larger longer wound channel than does the Barnes

Old 06-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess that may depend on the bear's attitude and distance at the time.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's impressive Mike. I wish I had seen that before.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's impressive Mike. I wish I had seen that before.

What weight T-EZ are shooting?

This is the ballistic print out for the 452x240 CF-HP. The energy numbers are really impressive...

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm using the Barnes 250gr. I have 2 lbs of Swiss 2F and i'm going to use that up. It's close to equal to T7 2f in power. I was thinking 100gr.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Hey that's cool. I guess they are happy with the performance in testing! Hopefully some reports on live game soon...
The 265 Harvested between 19 and 21 Deer last year. That was with four different hunters me included. The ranges were from 30 to 175 yards. Almost positive only one Deer moved 5 steps or so dead.

There are no issues at all with these HP bullets. We are having issues getting the tips to work effectively and as of now tips arent an option.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm using the Barnes 250gr. I have 2 lbs of Swiss 2F and i'm going to use that up. It's close to equal to T7 2f in power. I was thinking 100gr.
Swiss is a great powder and you know how to use it - so you should be good to go. 100 grains is going to naturally reduce the velocity/energy numbers some form the sheet that I posted but again experience makes up for all of that... Good luck in your hunt...
Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tanks.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Muley Hunter, to extend upon Sabot Loaders explanation a little, from what I have gathered on the Bloodlines and Lehighs from the old man and my sisters usage, when the petals shed, there isn't really that much weight loss. I'm guessing less than 25 percent overall. That is leaving a pretty good chunk of brass or copper to punch through the animal. And those petals do some serious damage internally. They were using the 220 grain Lehighs and at a little over 200 yards Alex's buck, which was a very large bodied old bruiser, only took a few steps. I really don't think you will have any problems bringing down a black bear quickly with a 265 grain bloodline. So far, the only saboted bullet I can get to shoot worth a damn out of one of my sidelocks is the XTP. Never tried one of those bloodlines or lehighs yet though. If I can get them to shoot right out of it I will most definitely be a convert. They are an impressive bullet. Never been one to get into inlines all that much or I'd pick up the old mans Thompson center and use it. Though that smokeless demon spawn of his has me seriously impressed.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Muley Hunter, to extend upon Sabot Loaders explanation a little, from what I have gathered on the Bloodlines and Lehighs from the old man and my sisters usage, when the petals shed, there isn't really that much weight loss. I'm guessing less than 25 percent overall. That is leaving a pretty good chunk of brass or copper to punch through the animal. And those petals do some serious damage internally. They were using the 220 grain Lehighs and at a little over 200 yards Alex's buck, which was a very large bodied old bruiser, only took a few steps. I really don't think you will have any problems bringing down a black bear quickly with a 265 grain bloodline. So far, the only saboted bullet I can get to shoot worth a damn out of one of my sidelocks is the XTP. Never tried one of those bloodlines or lehighs yet though. If I can get them to shoot right out of it I will most definitely be a convert. They are an impressive bullet. Never been one to get into inlines all that much or I'd pick up the old mans Thompson center and use it. Though that smokeless demon spawn of his has me seriously impressed.

Of the three new Lehigh copper bullets the only one that is short enough to shoot from a 1-48 twist is the new 451x230 CF-HP. It really is a quality bullet.

I made a quick trip to the farm a few days ago to try them out. I was shooting one of old favorites that I have totally ignored for several years, a TC Renegade. The 230's shot extremely well and the ballistics were out of site.

I really thought this would be a good rifle to use for test the 230's ability to shoot from a 1-48 twist.
Got to the rock pit and set up my work area on the tail gate of the pick up... and the chrono set out in front of the bench.

This ballistic sheet was computed using a 120 grains of BH - I have not ran one using 100 grains of T7 with a muzzle velocity of 1950

This is a 75 yard target which I thought was really good for me and my eyes with open sights... #4 was me - I forget sometimes when I use the set trigger. The average velocity created by the T7-3f - 100 grain load was 1951 fps.

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.