Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Praise the 300 XTP >

Praise the 300 XTP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Praise the 300 XTP

Old 06-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 300 grain XTP has been my go to bullet in all of my 50 calibers for several years now. Many deer - no failures.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Same bullet, different conditions

Wednesday morning the bullet was shot some more. The rifle was the same as the OP, as was the load, and the location, and the shooter. There were some changes. The scope was replaced with a fixed 4 power scope. It was very much warmer than it was in the OP; it was hot. Still, the three shots were made without waiting, and done as quickly as the rifle could be reloaded. The first shot was from a dirty breech plug, and barrel. Shame on me, but because the barrel is already pitted, i don't seem to care much about keeping it clean. This time the range ended up being 201 yard.

What's not to like about the bullet??

_____
Old 06-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're getting better Ron.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300 xtp -- different rifle

Yesterday morning i made it out in the hills, and did some shooting. Two rifles came with. An Omega Dream Season with a 2-7 power scope mounted. An AR with a 1.5-5 power scope. It was a nice 56° up there at 4600'. At first there was a breeze, but after awhile the breeze quit; that is when i took advantage and shot three 300 XTP at the bottom target. Load was 72 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, Federal 209A primer. The shots were from a fouled barrel. The rifle isn't sighted in for this bullet, but is just another rifle that shoots the 300 xtp bullet well.

The distance to the target i forgot to measure, but it has to be 200 yard or slightly more. The holes in the top target were made whilst there was a slight breeze. The .22 holes were made just having a little fun emptying 9 cartridges from a 10 round magazine as fast as i could aim, and pull the trigger.

The 300 xtp sure is accurate, and deadly.

________
Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used them they work well with medium loads for me but the 250 Bloodline is my first choice. Speaking of Gold Dots they call them Deep Curl now I just got some the local sport shop owner is a friend and he called and ask if I still wanted some he had 3 boxes so now I have 3 boxes.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The XTP is probably the most popular ML bullet on the market more for price than Terminal Performance!

Terminal Performance is far more important to me especially at my age not to mention the fairness to the animal.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every deer i ever hit with an xtp was hurt severely. Every deer i ever hit with the xtp ended in our freezer. The xtp is accurate. The xtp happens to be priced fair. In tests, the 300 xtp penetrated through 4 jugs, the 300 Deep Curl penetrated through 3 jugs. Yes it is 'fair' for old people, to kill deer with the xtp. Youngsters too can be 'fair', and use the 300xtp to stock their freezer.

Every deer i ever killed with the xtp was hurt severely.

___
Old 07-30-2017, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron, since you have done a lot of testing would you give use your opinion on how many jugs it takes to be the equivalent of a pass through on an average adult buck on a good broadside hit behind the shoulder?
I realize not everybody is wanting pass troughs but some of us like to have a good blood trail.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee,

It seems to me your guess is better than mine........

Umm..............You asked...........With the carpet, and plywood first, my wag is if a bullet passes through two jugs after the carpet/plywood, it will pass through a deer behind the shoulders. What do you think?

____
Old 07-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

My opinion on that is probably the same as ronlaughlin's, behind the shoulder, 2 jugs after plywood and carpet. On the shoulder or scapula as in a high shoulder hit I'd give it another jug for full pass through scapula to scapula. On the heavy bones and joint points would be anyones guess really. That would be dependent upon angle of entry and so many other variables. Like lemoyn, I'm greedy and want pass through performance. 2 holes is always better than one. I've personally never had a bullet failure from the XTP's with either the 250gr or the 300gr. But I've never pushed them as hard as some of you guys do with inlines. I'm not in the old people club yet but at 50 I'm surely not in the young peoples class either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.