Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1:20 Disc , pyrodex p, Black mz and heavy lead. >

1:20 Disc , pyrodex p, Black mz and heavy lead.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1:20 Disc , pyrodex p, Black mz and heavy lead.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1:20 Disc , pyrodex p, Black mz and heavy lead.

I was able to get off work a little early today so I decided to shoot. There wasn't much wind and it was nice out for a change. The gun I wanted to shoot is in the process of being bedded so I took the old 1:20 disc. It is already bedded . I had switched the breech plug out to a different gun so it had a fpj system. I left it figuring at least I wouldn't have to worry about stuck primers.
I had 5 different bullets I wanted to try that I got from a forum member. I also decided to try and see if there was a felt difference in shooting Black mz versus Pyrodex p. I didn't have a chronograph but oh well.

I also took my brass funnel along. I haven't used it since I sold my Gibbs but since the Black mz is so course and doesn't like to come out of my powder measurer very good I figured I could dump it out of the measurer from the top .

these are the two bullets I ended up shooting.

both with just 70 gr powder and not changing anything to see if I could tighten the group. I used a wad and swabbed after each shot. No real cool down so the barrel did get very warm, almost hot.

First shot on cold clean barrel. Higher than I thought it would be

I guess I don't have a separate pic of the three shots with black mz, I must have forgot to take one but shot 1 and 3 were touching. Shot 2 was an inch away.

This is the pyrodex p group. I should have left it a 3 shot group. when I shot 7 I blew the group size .

this is the 530 gr hollow point gg.

this is the target when done.
the 3 in the red near the bull are the 3 hollow point 530 gr shots. I think that dog will hunt.

the top are actually 7 shots with pyrodex p . Throw out that one high shot and it isn't to bad. I think there is potential there for sure.

Overall both bullets shot pretty good. I ain't good enough for competing but That's good enough for me for good enough for hunting. I definitely got to get some more.

100 yards, triple 7 primers. I almost forgot to include that info.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Instead of cleaning the gun I decided to go back out and try 200 yards. I boosted the charge to 75 , don't ask me why.
I didn't have any of the 500 gr paper patched bullets left, so I chose the 530 gr PP bullet. Not sure what I did wrong, maybe that 1/1000 matters. The 500 gr pp was a .444 patched to .451. The 530 is a .442 patched to .450. needless to say it wasn't on the target. That was discouraging. So I go back to the remaining 525 gr hp gg bullets. I took the first shot. it felt good and I could see the hole. That made me feel a little better. I took shot 2 . Couldn't make out anything. so I took the long hike to the target. where I was pleasantly surprised. Both were on the target

this is the 3 shot group. Room for improvement but I can live with it for now.

Besides I got a letter from my son today and he more than makes up for it. He is in boot camp . He joined the Marine Corp. and for the past 3 weeks they were at camp Pendelton for firearms training. He heads back to San Diego in a few days for his last month of basic and the crucible. , but I was proud to find out he qualified at the 500 yard range with all 10 shots in the black, so I guess his hunting while growing up helped a little . He is looking forward to graduating the end of June.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some good shooting! that would sure make a hard hitting hunting load with them big bullets.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Good shooting, even if its not a White!!

I had 6 weeks of basic in the USAF an thought it would never end...I'm sure you are very proud of your son. I wish more young folks would make the same commitment!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you ever tried BH209 with the NFPJ conversion and conicals?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Have you ever tried BH209 with the NFPJ conversion and conicals?
No I don't use blackhorn with heavy conicals . I stick with pyrodex or triple 7 . Especially since I use a slip fit conical that loads easily