Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sabot Compared Two >

Sabot Compared Two

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot Compared Two

Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sabot Compared Two

Scott sent these bullet around two years ago. This morning i planned to use them to practice off hand shooting. First step was to shoot bullet or two off the bench to find point of impact. Whoa!! When i loaded the first bullet it about fell down the barrel. No need for the loading helper.

Was able to load the bullet with one bare hand on the ram rod. This was a surprise because i have shot this newest Omega about 700 times, and always used the crush rib sabot with every bullet. The first shot hit almost center. This was a surprise. Because the first shot was good, i decided to try another using the crush rib sabot, loading it with my bare thumb. The second shot hit a little right in the red, so i tried another, loading it using one bare finger. This third shot hit way low. The elevation dial was turned up 4 moa, and switching to short black Harvester sabot, five shots were made. They required the use of the loading helper. All hit right at the top of the paper. Then the elevation dial was turned back down 4 moa, and two more shots made using crush rib sabot. Load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, W209 primer.

Back at the house, the bullet was measured 0.4495". Ah ha, now we know why it loaded so loose. Hornady, and Speer bullets measure 0.452"; Parker, and Nosler bullets measure 0.451".

Old 04-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are rebranded Parker Ballistic Extremes. Back then Parker would size them to .4505. I sized them to .4495 to shoot sabotless in my 45 or with sabots in my NULA. New production Parker BEs are .451
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I had seen them before but never shot them. Now I have shot Parker Extreme and they shot real good in my Black Diamond XR. And as I remember I could push them pretty hard.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
..........I sized them to .4495 to shoot sabotless in my 45 or with sabots in my NULA...........

Well, that explains that.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been thinking about it; i may kinda recall they were resized, but i sure didn't remember.

Perhaps a thing to be learned, is one certainly doesn't need a tight fitting sabot to ignite Blackhorn powder. It does seem a good fitting sabot helps accuracy.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

They load kinda easy in my NULA and even with smokeless, both ignition and accuracy are excellent.

Great bullet if you know its shot placement limitations. They will waste a lot of meat if not kept in the boiler room. Stick to "text book" broad sides and they perform very well. Hit a high shoulder/spine and you have a heckuva mess.