Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock >

Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock

Old 04-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

We now wear fluorescent orange in rifle season and lots of deer are killed.. I remember when I first started hunting I had a big square of red cloth safety pined to the back of my hunting coat. My how times have changed.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

We are all suckered into something at some point in life. Hunting gear, cars, marriage, you name it. Something gets us at some point.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

True dat!!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
We are all suckered into something at some point in life. Hunting gear, cars, marriage, you name it. Something gets us at some point.
I was suckered twice. Never be another woman suckering me in to saying I do to anything. My daddy said I was a little slow about the time I married my 2nd ex-wife. That one weaned me for sure...Lmbo.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

The link is to a 2013 article.

Robinson Outdoors is the parent company of Scent Blocker. That company recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

This week’s filing is the most recent court visit by the company but not its first. In 2016, A.L.S. Enterprises, Inc., the makers of ScentLok, sued Robinson Outdoor Products for a series of ads launched in 2013 in which Robinson began advertising its Trinity Technology this way: “Trinity adsorbs odor up to 40% more than carbon” and “up to 200% more than Zeolite.”

In May 2016, a jury found Robinson Outdoor Products liable for willfully presenting false advertisements regarding its Trinity Technology’s effectiveness and awarded A.L.S. a settlement of $3.8 million. That settlement was later vacated in a U.S. District Court.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/robinson-...les-bankruptcy
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

So basically, rather than pay for gimmicky clothing that probably doesn't work, we should watch the wind and be mindful of where we walk? Sounds quite reasonable if you ask me.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

That has been my experience TN Lone Wolf. Something the old man used to always say was, I have yet to ever have a deer complain about what I was wearing when I shot it. Back when I was first starting out, I would come home, change into my hunting clothes, those that my mom would deem unwearable in a public setting, and hit the woods after school. While playing the wind, I never seemed to have need of scent free or camouflage clothing. Never had trouble getting up on whatever I was hunting. The main reason I even use anything camouflage or scent reducing products today is some of them actually do help a little bit. Breaking up your outline and reducing your scent cone can and will help but the claims of most of these products such as scentlock is pretty much just lies used to induce hunters into spending money. Those who believe or advertise saying their products will effectively keep your scent away from a whitetails nose are delusional at best. Liars at worst.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

I don't ever worry about scent blocker or control. I don't remember how many times I had to lay a ciggarette down to shoot a deer. Now I saw on tv that ya had to have that fancey stuff to use on them high fence deer. I'm guessing they smarter than KY deer...lmbo
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Some scent killer stuff to remove normal laundry smells is helpful. Downy has zero place in the woods IMO. I like to use pine or cedar scent spray on my clothing to help a little, but how much, I have no clue. Walking slow and paying attention IMO is where the difference is.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok this may be a coincidence or not I'll let you be the judge. In my younger years while still in HS and college most of my hunting, except the times I went up to our cabin on state forest property, was done on public or coal company ground. This was close to highways and town. For about 5-6 years during this time I worked at a gas station in the summers and on weekends. I would be changing oil, greasing cars, packing bearing, etc and pumping gas. The smell of these petroleum products we all know is hard to eliminate. And this was long before scent eliminating products were developed. But IMO the deer were used to this odor and I do believe it covered up or masked my human scent because as I recall I saw a lot of deer and filled all my tags during that time frame. And a several were within a few yards of me.
Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that I also smoked then too.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-14-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.