Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
knight 500 muzzleloader >

knight 500 muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight 500 muzzleloader

Old 03-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Knight 500s come with the FPJ plug as the standard. Not the best choice for BH209 especially if you want to shoot a conical. The true Lehigh plug though should work fine. It does in my SuperDisc with the Bullshops and a veggie wad. You want conicals sized around .001-.002 over land size. Slip fit like a White would be pushing your luck if the shot of a life time was available.

BTW...DONT go over 80gr by volume of BH209 with these big conicals. FPS will get too high and you could run into pressures that are getting kinda high.
ok thanks i'll reach out when it comes in and i have a chance to read up on it. i know i hate those red plastic primer holders both of my tk-2000's i converted to musket real quick and easy to cap that way.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
Well I'm not sure I agree you have to figure a good stock like that will cost at least 800 then the hand tuned gm barrel,Timney trigger and all the rest and case it adds up pretty quick.probably about 300 bucks at most over priced.
If the 500 uses the Mountaineer breech plugs, I have RPJ plugs with removable vents from Lehigh. You can have one if you want it no problem.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
If the 500 uses the Mountaineer breech plugs, I have RPJ plugs with removable vents from Lehigh. You can have one if you want it no problem.
OK thanks for offering do those have to be custom made ? What primer does it use ?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grouse is talking about a red plastic jacket plug BUT the vent liner is not braised in like the OEM Knight plug. You can replace just the vent liner when it wears out. Any primer seems to fit fine in the jacket but in mine mags were much dirtier.

Bare primer and a win209 primer is way cleaner. My Bestill bare primer plug can use either the Fed209A or Win209 perfectly. My Lehigh bare primer plugs work best with a Win209 but they can be shimmed to work with others too.

Both plugs are made of 17-4 stainless and made by Lehigh so either one is excellent quality. Jeff had 100 or so plugs made a little long so they could be custom fit. You will need either a bare primer bolt or adapter too with the Bestill plug. I prefer the adapter.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK thanks for offering do those have to be custom made ? What primer does it use ?
Sorry, didnt see this. But GM54 answered your question
Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Grouse is talking about a red plastic jacket plug BUT the vent liner is not braised in like the OEM Knight plug. You can replace just the vent liner when it wears out. Any primer seems to fit fine in the jacket but in mine mags were much dirtier.

Bare primer and a win209 primer is way cleaner. My Bestill bare primer plug can use either the Fed209A or Win209 perfectly. My Lehigh bare primer plugs work best with a Win209 but they can be shimmed to work with others too.

Both plugs are made of 17-4 stainless and made by Lehigh so either one is excellent quality. Jeff had 100 or so plugs made a little long so they could be custom fit. You will need either a bare primer bolt or adapter too with the Bestill plug. I prefer the adapter.
Ok you guys will have to help me in what to look for.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok you guys will have to help me in what to look for.
Knight Breech Plugs...

The plug on the left is a DISC breech plug and the one on the right is a Mountaineer plug. You can see the Mnt plug is longer. Both of these are bare 209 plugs.

Which ever plug you have or get there is a good chance you may have to shim the plug with SS washer to fit the primer you choose to use. With either plug there is not real need of a Mag primer. The plug is built to possibly fit best with a W209 primer

This is a picture of a BP with a shim installed. The shim act as a head spacing device to keep the breech clean

If you need to shim I and other can help you with that.

The plug you are going to get with the rifle will likely be a FPJ plug like the one on the left.

That also means you will get a FPJ bolt housing that looks a lot like this. The piece supporting the nose of the bolt is a 'Primer Adapter' and that piece you will need to come up with. There is a guy on the internet that has the adapter and bare breech plug available.

This shows the primer adapter on adapter is a old Knight adapter the other is a Lehigh/Knight

This picture shows the primer adapted installed in a FPJ bolt...

https://s26.postimg.org/6uzyvemux/CompositePicture.jpg" />

With this setup you just drop the primer into the open slot in the adapter. Closing the bolt installs the primer in the BP and opening and pulling back extracts it.

This picture shows the Vent Liner installed in the breech plug.

The other NFPJ Knight bolt (bare primer bolt) assembly originally for the Mountaineer series rifle but now being used in the DISC has primer rails built into the nose of the bolt and you need to slide the primer into the rails...

Hope some of this helps answer some questions....
Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Knight Breech Plugs...

The plug on the left is a DISC breech plug and the one on the right is a Mountaineer plug. You can see the Mnt plug is longer. Both of these are bare 209 plugs.

Which ever plug you have or get there is a good chance you may have to shim the plug with SS washer to fit the primer you choose to use. With either plug there is not real need of a Mag primer. The plug is built to possibly fit best with a W209 primer

This is a picture of a BP with a shim installed. The shim act as a head spacing device to keep the breech clean

If you need to shim I and other can help you with that.

The plug you are going to get with the rifle will likely be a FPJ plug like the one on the left.

That also means you will get a FPJ bolt housing that looks a lot like this. The piece supporting the nose of the bolt is a 'Primer Adapter' and that piece you will need to come up with. There is a guy on the internet that has the adapter and bare breech plug available.

This shows the primer adapter on adapter is a old Knight adapter the other is a Lehigh/Knight

This picture shows the primer adapted installed in a FPJ bolt...

https://s26.postimg.org/6uzyvemux/CompositePicture.jpg" />

With this setup you just drop the primer into the open slot in the adapter. Closing the bolt installs the primer in the BP and opening and pulling back extracts it.

This picture shows the Vent Liner installed in the breech plug.

The other NFPJ Knight bolt (bare primer bolt) assembly originally for the Mountaineer series rifle but now being used in the DISC has primer rails built into the nose of the bolt and you need to slide the primer into the rails...

Hope some of this helps answer some questions....
Man that was a great way to explain thank you I guess we'll just have to wait to see what it us I guess or I can ask them to e mail me instructions ahead of rifle.they told me about two weeks before shipment.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Knight does make a 209 "holder" that makes loading the bare primer bolt easier. I just find the bare primer adapter to work easier without an additional item to carry.