Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
knight 500 muzzleloader >

knight 500 muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight 500 muzzleloader

Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

With what few have been sold, it would be wise to talk with those who have them and are shooting them. You'll need to change web sites. Especially since you've already pulled the plug on one. No other rifles need mentioning at this point. Good luck with your new rifle!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
One thing you consider... the 500 and the rifle that Grouse had were never meant to sabots. The twist rate of those two rifle creates a tremendous torque on a sabot and normally with the heavier charges it will not hold up. If you are shooting full bore projectiles that is a completely different story.
Well I plan on using primarily for hunting elk out here and going to use the largest big lead slug it likes I probably won't even shoot it for a while until I can put a Knight force scope on it. The only thing I don't like at this point is it doesn't have the ramrod in the gun so I'll have to see if that's possible without messing up the stock ?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
Well I plan on using primarily for hunting elk out here and going to use the largest big lead slug it likes I probably won't even shoot it for a while until I can put a Knight force scope on it. The only thing I don't like at this point is it doesn't have the ramrod in the gun so I'll have to see if that's possible without messing up the stock ?
I would be betting the rifle would shoot the Bull Shop .503x460 without a hick-up. They are really accurate from my 1-24's and will handle elk without a problem.

Bull Shop Dan makes others also that you might be more interested in...

The picture says .504 but he will size it to the size your request.

Which powder do you plan on using?

I shoot them with 90 grains T7 with a shot card under the bullet.

They work!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im surprised you bought such a heavy gun for what your doing with it. Cant wait to see some range reports and your opinions of it.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Im surprised you bought such a heavy gun for what your doing with it. Cant wait to see some range reports and your opinions of it.
Well I'm 6-2 250 lbs and been an electrician for 30 plus years so a 10-12 lb rifle is child's play for me!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be betting the rifle would shoot the Bull Shop .503x460 without a hick-up. They are really accurate from my 1-24's and will handle elk without a problem.

Bull Shop Dan makes others also that you might be more interested in...

The picture says .504 but he will size it to the size your request.

Which powder do you plan on using?

I shoot them with 90 grains T7 with a shot card under the bullet.

They work!
Good question but right now I'm not sure.can you shoot Bh209 out of them? Really not much information out there on them.I really would like to cast my own to be honest but for now I will probably try some but the bigger the better imo.right now I'm waiting for my 600 gr mold from lbt for my whites it's going to drop a .505 then I will size down to .504 or .5035
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I had one of the ones that Won all the matches I guess a long time ago. Put it against a original super disc and the super disc won fairly easy so sent the 500 back to were I got it. So my opinion is the Knight 500 is way over priced and a waste of money.
Well I'm not sure I agree you have to figure a good stock like that will cost at least 800 then the hand tuned gm barrel,Timney trigger and all the rest and case it adds up pretty quick.probably about 300 bucks at most over priced.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good question but right now I'm not sure.can you shoot Bh209 out of them? Really not much information out there on them.I really would like to cast my own to be honest but for now I will probably try some but the bigger the better imo.right now I'm waiting for my 600 gr mold from lbt for my whites it's going to drop a .505 then I will size down to .504 or .5035

I am assuming... the 500 comes with the Lehigh/Knight breech plug which will shoot BH very easily with a regular Win W209 primer.

I would make another suggestion also - if the BP is the standard BP I would make a real effort to find a Lehigh breech plug with a removable vent liner or contact Bestill Creations and get one of Jeff's breech plugs that will/can be built to fit your rifle and the primer you choose to use.

Also, if you do go to BH you will probably need to use a wad to seal the bore and keep the heat off the bottom of the bullet. BH and T7 will melt the bottom of the bullet.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming... the 500 comes with the Lehigh/Knight breech plug which will shoot BH very easily with a regular Win W209 primer.

I would make another suggestion also - if the BP is the standard BP I would make a real effort to find a Lehigh breech plug with a removable vent liner or contact Bestill Creations and get one of Jeff's breech plugs that will/can be built to fit your rifle and the primer you choose to use.

Also, if you do go to BH you will probably need to use a wad to seal the bore and keep the heat off the bottom of the bullet. BH and T7 will melt the bottom of the bullet.
OK I'll let you know when it arrives. I use a felt wad under my bullets.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Knight 500s come with the FPJ plug as the standard. Not the best choice for BH209 especially if you want to shoot a conical. The true Lehigh plug though should work fine. It does in my SuperDisc with the Bullshops and a veggie wad. You want conicals sized around .001-.002 over land size. Slip fit like a White would be pushing your luck if the shot of a life time was available.

BTW...DONT go over 80gr by volume of BH209 with these big conicals. FPS will get too high and you could run into pressures that are getting kinda high.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-23-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.