Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In the Rock Pit - finally >

In the Rock Pit - finally

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In the Rock Pit - finally

Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default In the Rock Pit - finally

It really has been a long winter! But last Saturday I was finally able to get though snow on the road to the rock pit. This has got to be the latest, in my memory, that I have ever been held out of the pit.

I am working with the latest Supper DISC that I got awhile back. Some of you might remember I got this rifle not to long ago and it was not in the best condition - not bad but not good. The bore is slightly pitted and the crown was damaged. I repaired/rebuilt the crown and cleaned up the bore and treated it with 'Dyna Tek Bore Coat". I had removed the 'Original DISC' stock and dropped it into a wood stock that Sqezer had bedded.

In the initial test after competing all of this rifle was a tack driver. But for some reason, just my personal preference, I took the rifle out of the wood stock and dropped it into one of my spare composite thumbhole stocks. I seemed like it dropped in perfect. I am not a fan of floating barrels and this rifle really felt like it fit perfectly in the stock. BUT, I could not get the same really tight accuracy with it. The other night will talking to Sqezer I think that I/we/he in our discussion found the problem. The barrel near the fore end of the stock was getting stuck in the barrel channel. Not very much but enough that it might be effecting 'barrel harmonics'. Last night I sanded the channel to fit the barrel correctly and today with the sun out - I really want to test it out.

Packed the truck and headed to the 'Pit' Got there early enough that I got the pit to myself. In the melting snow there were plenty of unbroken clays so on the walk to the wall I collected a bunch of the birds and set them up on the rock wall. My initial setup was 13 birds - I decided that they would provide enough targets to get my problem deciphered.

As it turned out the problem was solved... the rifle was shooting extremely well again. I was shooting 120 grains of T7-2f, Lehigh 40 cal. bullets in a MMP light tan sabot. Breaking the birds @ 100 almost became boring! I changed my focus did not even place anymore birds on the wall but decided to shoot 'Targets of Opportunity'! There were plenty of broken pieces of clays on the wall so I shifted my focus and shooting to 'shooting chips'.
Lehigh 40 placed in an MMP Light Tan

Shooting these chips showed/told me that I did have the barreled action set correctly in the stock now. It is ready for hunting!
If you have not tried shooting a fast twist 45 cal. rifle - I would really suggest you get one. For the deer hunters and where legal it really is a great twist rate.

Here is a collection of pics from this morning..

You can see in the bottom two pictures an example of the 'chips' that I was shooting. This chip shooting proved to be really rewarding in my mind
Old 03-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can see that you, like me, are rough on your equipment.

...........What I mean is that "we" demand a lot from our "Stuff" !!!

OK - I'll speak for myself ................ LOL