Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Going to ask this in both places >

Going to ask this in both places

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Going to ask this in both places

Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Going to ask this in both places

I'm saying both places because it involves loading a black powder cartridge like the .45-70 with real black powder or a sub like Pyrodex.
I understand when using black powder that you must fill the gap between the powder and bullet with a filler (correct me if I'm wrong). If so, what kind of filler does one use? I've read some use oatmeal. Also, is it necessary to use a drop tube for the powder and is the powder measured by volume same as a muzzy?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

You might get a little help here. Scroll down to the articles by Dick Trenk.

https://bpcr.net/site_docs-results_s...nformation.htm
Old 02-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi that doesn't help me. Its a broken link and my browser can't locate it when I click on it.

nevermind, it worked using Explorer - doesn't work with Firefox

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-22-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Comes right up for me with Firefox?
https://bpcr.net/site_docs-results_s...dick_trenk.htm
Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm saying both places because it involves loading a black powder cartridge like the .45-70 with real black powder or a sub like Pyrodex.
I understand when using black powder that you must fill the gap between the powder and bullet with a filler (correct me if I'm wrong). If so, what kind of filler does one use? I've read some use oatmeal. Also, is it necessary to use a drop tube for the powder and is the powder measured by volume same as a muzzy?
Bronko,

Oatmeal???... I know some black powder revolver enthusiasts use Cream of Wheat as a filler which allows them to load lighter charges and seat each ball consistently flush with the cylinder face. It's supposed maintain consistency with regard to the compression of each charge and help improve accuracy by allowing the shooter to "tweek" the load.

Never heard of using Oatmeal...maybe that's a BP cartridge shooter thing.

BPS
Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Us Southern boys use grits.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Us Southern boys use grits.
No self respecting Southern boy wouldn't!

BPS
Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't light load BPS cartridges so I don't use fillers. But when I am working up wildcat cartridges and fire-forming cases for new chambers I use Cream Of Wheat. Never tried Grits but I do hear they work well. Hell of a lot more apt to use them for fire-forming rather than eating...Can't stand the things! Never did like them!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
No self respecting Southern boy wouldn't!

BPS
That's right, with honey on em!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I don't light load BPS cartridges so I don't use fillers. But when I am working up wildcat cartridges and fire-forming cases for new chambers I use Cream Of Wheat. Never tried Grits but I do hear they work well. Hell of a lot more apt to use them for fire-forming rather than eating...Can't stand the things! Never did like them!
Have to disagree on that sh54. I might be Yankee born and bred but I love grits! My Mom lived in North Carolina for about 10 years when she was a young woman. Fortunately for me, she had a love for Southern cooking and brought it home with her. I eat grits, collards, blackeye peas, pinto beans and hocks and cornbread is always best when baked in a cast iron skillet that's got a little melted bacon grease in it before you pour in the mix!!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.