Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Whats more important about your bullet choice. >

Whats more important about your bullet choice.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats more important about your bullet choice.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats more important about your bullet choice.

1-Are you concerned with high BC?

2-Or are you more inclined to worry about performance on game? basically how quick or fast it kills your particular animal.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45

2-Or are you more inclined to worry about performance on game? basically how quick or fast it kills your particular animal.
1- I'm always concerned with higher BC bullets for longer range shooting/hunting.

2- Performance matters, but shot placement matters most. With proper shot placement, you can kill game with a marble.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I rare get a shot past 100 yards. Normally 75 yards and closer so a high BC doesn't concern me much. When I use a conical I want one that delivers as much energy as possible internally and exiting the other side.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Back in 1960 I started out with a 40 caliber PRB and tracked several deer for 1/2 mile or more. I hit them good but did not seem to have any stopping power right then I decided putting them down as close to where I hit them was right next to reasonable accuracy in importance. Last year I dropped a doe less than 10 yards from where I hit her with a 250 grain Lehigh at 147 yards by laser range finder this year one of the 5 I got was 136 yards a decent buck [basket rack] and I dropped him in less than 30 yards with a 200 grain /40 caliber Lehigh [ all my Lehigh are Bloodline I have not shot any other for hunting for several years.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45

High BC in a ML bullet is not a concern for me. I personally limit my shooting range to 200 - 250yds. max.

I am always willing, in a ML bullet, to trade BC for Meplat. I really want the impact felt then the most important part the destruction of the internals by Hydrostatic Shock.

I believe if I can achieve the felt impact on the animal with energy of the felt impact and the shock of the destruction of the internal you can over-ride the animals immediate 'flight response'
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny thing is, i never get to choose the bullet. The rifle, he gets the choice. This year i decided to use the 275 grain BE. The rifle chose the 300 grain XTP. After all said, and done, i guess i am glad he did; the gut shot deer didn't get far, and is in the freezer.

His criteria are neither BC, nor terminal performance, but his choice did do a very fine job putting the deer down, even with a lousy shot on my part.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Banned

a few of my examples and what i like.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

BC really means nothing to me. I worry more about bullet expansion and tissue damage from the original hit. Another thing that is just as important is accuracy.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot a lot of round balls. BC with them is a joke, so big balls are better.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the SML I am building soon I will want an extreme BC because I will be shooting at ranges from 200-300 yards on Moose. I'll want every drop of energy that bullet can retain for those ranges on a Mature Bull Moose. Probably go with a Parker or a home lathed with a lightly hollow base and run through a drop sizer design I have in my head. But for my normal ranges on Whitetail and Elk, rarely over 150 yards, like Sabot I want the most felt impact and internal damage as can be delivered for a quick drop of the animal. So far, Lehighs/Bloodlines have shown me exactly what I want to see in terminal performance and at my medium ranges they perform exactly how I need them to as far as accuracy. They shoot great from both mine and my Daughters TC's. I think I'm going to go a bit heavier than the 220's and go with these 265gr controlled fracturing:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.