Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder Volume to Weight >

Powder Volume to Weight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Volume to Weight

Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to shooting pretty much anything at all, be it BP, BPsubs, or smokeless or any firearm type, my OCD kicks into serious overdrive. Having wildcatted many different CF rigs over the years I would imagine that my severe OCD has more than likely saved my hands and face more than once from serious injury. I develop a method for loading everything and stick to that method religiously.

I actually checked my U-View to see how close it was this morning after reading Falcon's statement. Found it to be almost dead on with BH's formula of 0.7. Three throws of 100gr by volume was weighed at 69, 69.3, and 71. I guess I lucked out with one of the good ones. My brass adjustable (hand made by a friend 20+ years ago) was a little over 3 grains off at 73.2, 73.4, and 73. The only BP I have around here at the moment is Swiss 2F so with that being made as it is it really isn't fair to test it against American measurements.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You guys are probably right and I'm not arguing that. Maybe its just a confidence issue. But whatever helps I'm all for it.

Personally I think you are correct with the confidence issue. Whatever gives you the right feeling and leads to success... why not???
Old 02-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I am glad to hear that Super hunt54; I was wondering if I was the only one who had a U-view that was +- 1 grain so I checked it over again, it still is accurate.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well I am glad to hear that Super hunt54; I was wondering if I was the only one who had a U-view that was +- 1 grain so I checked it over again, it still is accurate.
What powder did you check it with Lee?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Blackhorn, its all I have other than the Pyrodex I use in my side locks.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Blackhorn, its all I have other than the Pyrodex I use in my side locks.
Ah Ha! I think we're talking about two different things with respect to the "accuracy" of powder measures. This whole "grain weight" to "volume equivalency" thing can get confusing.

I think you and some others are really talking about "consistency", not accuracy. If a measure throws a series of loads that weigh the same, it is consistent. In that respect I agree with you, and find the TC U-View measures very consistent. I'm sure the swivel funnel pour top has a lot to do with that.

However, I do not find the U-View an accurate measure of black powder volume equivalency. To be accurate, a measure must produce a load of black powder that weighs the same as the markings on the measure (i.e. a 100 grain load of black powder actually weighs 100 grains). If a measure is accurate in that respect is would be proper to say that the loads it produces with one of substitute powders like Blackhorn or Pyrodex are the volume equivalent of a given weight of black powder.

The U-View measures, though consistent, are not accurate measures of volume equivalency. Every one I've ever tested produced black powder loads that were significantly lighter the the scale noted on the measure.

So, if we have a U-View measure set at 100 grains and that setting actually produces 90 grains weight of black powder, any load it throws with a substitute powder is the equivalent of 90 grains of black powder, no 100 grains.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm...Imma have to go get some Goex now to test that theory Semi. Because one thing you said is a bit inaccurate. The formula for BH to Black powder weight equivalence is .7 correct? Now, if you are getting en equivalent throw of 70 grains weight from a 100 grain by volume, then aren't you getting a correct volume measurement? The only BP I have on hand is Swiss and that never measures correct by volume in an American measure. One of my boys may have some Goex but it is probably older than dirt. He hasn't pulled his sidelock smoke pole out in a while now other than for inspection and cleaning/oiling.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

i have some olde eynsford 2fg
Old 02-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i have some olde eynsford 2fg
I gots me some long gorilla arms MD but I don't think they are long enough to reach Colorado from here And isn't OE grain sized almost like Swiss? Been a little while since I've seen it and I don't quite remember.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

ive heard Swiss is really super fine. I'll weigh some out and see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.