Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cooking a Barrel

Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Sabot, the absolute best thing I have found to assure absolutely NO oils are left is Brake Cleaner. Just make sure you don't get any on ANYTHING other than the steel. That stuff will really do a number on plastics and wood. Pretty darn cheap and much easier than most other degreasers and boiling methods. You can grab a can at pretty much any auto supply. It's what the stuff is designed for. Taking the oil off disc rotors before installation. Leaving the oil on will crystallize your pads.
Yes, I have tried it but unless you heat the barrel you will never empty the pores + the heated pores really helps the Dyna-Tek get into the pores in the bore.

And according to the MDS sheet there are petroleum additives in Brake Cleaner and that is what I am trying to get rid of...

Additionally the boiling water removes all plastic fouling without an effort at all. Just got to get the bore completely dry with air than while the barrel is very hot apply the Dyna-Tek.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

??? There's no petroleum in Brake Cleaners. It's made to eliminate petroleum based products such as grease and brake fluid from disc rotors. I've used it several times for degreasing prep for bluing/browning barrels. Never used that dynatech stuff before so I have no knowledge about the heated pores accepting it better but I can tell you without a doubt there is absolutely no oil residue left after using brake clean.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Banned

Good product,just got to make sure it's not expired otherwise it's not working. I've removed it from all my ml'er bored and just use a good bore oil or grease.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
??? There's no petroleum in Brake Cleaners. It's made to eliminate petroleum based products such as grease and brake fluid from disc rotors. I've used it several times for degreasing prep for bluing/browning barrels. Never used that dynatech stuff before so I have no knowledge about the heated pores accepting it better but I can tell you without a doubt there is absolutely no oil residue left after using brake clean.

This is from the MSDS

3. Composition/information on ingredients
Mixtures

Methanol 108-88-3 10 - 20
Toluene 67-64-1 5 - 15
Acetone 589-34-4 5 - 103-
Methylhexane 124-38-9 5 - 10
Carbon dioxide 142-82-5 5 - 10n-
Heptane 108-87-2 3 - 5
Methylcyclohexane 64742-49-0 3 - 5
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light 110-82-7 1 - 3Cyclohexane 100-41-4 < 0.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Spike

Technically, practically everything on this list is a "petroleum product".
Except carbon dioxide which is the propellant gas in the aerosol can.
Methanol,aka wood alcohol,aka denatured alcohol can be produced by the destructive distillation on wood but probably is produced by reactions that start with simple hydrocarbons. All the others can be recovered from crude oil not that would be the best way.
What they are is a mixture of low molecular weight compounds that have low boiling points and will evaporate quickly. As they wash across a surface they will dissolve heavier oils (& greases) and flush them away.
This too long already, but I could fill a couple of pages with info on polar/nonpolar solvents and the solvation process.

Last edited by Olde NE Hunter; 02-06-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try nonchlorinated brake cleaner instead. Its around 50% acetone/toluene and less than 3% naphtha.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Try nonchlorinated brake cleaner instead. Its around 50% acetone/toluene and less than 3% naphtha.

Personally I have used Carb Cleaner more than Brake Cleaner swish out a bore. I think either product in the normal circumstance works well.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you got it "cooked" just right. The nice looking rifle sure does shoot well.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by falcon
Looks like you got it "cooked" just right. The nice looking rifle sure does shoot well.

Hoping to run out this afternoon to do one more verification... I will shoot some more birds but I, at this point need to shoot a paper target @100 just to verify what I think I know
Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Plus since I will be shooting T7 it should tell me if my Dyna-Tek project really worked..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.