Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Unsupported Shooting >

Unsupported Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unsupported Shooting

Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Banned

ok lets see someone else beat that off hand group. Even I know I'd get my rear end handed to me.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's because you're a bench shooter.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Banned

well it beats being an "Internet shooter"
Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

With all the pictures you post, I thought that's what you were?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

That's really not too bad. I've sure seen a lot worse.

Have you zeroed the rifle from a bench prior to this?

You've got a base line to beat for comparison when you practice.

If you've go one of those called a flier for a known reason, flinch ect. Then you know ONE thing in the mix to over come with practice.

May be there is a little room to practice with the hasty and get it pulled in tighter. May be it can help. The other option is to set it up like a true shooting sling with it hooked in front and the loop adjusted around your support arm. Get things locked up before the shot to take as much muscle tension as possible out of the equation.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
As hard as i try, i cannot see the advantage of moving closer. To me it seems if one is more accurate when close, this will still not help one be accurate out far. However, if one is accurate out far, one will be accurate close...
For one thing moving closer keeps ALL your shots visible on the target area and removes all the guessing of where they went.

Accurate is a relative term, it really doesn't mean any thing unless it's defined and well understood to what the standard of "accurate" is between the participants in the discussion.

Group size, location on the target, and distance shot are more PRECISE than accurate.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting i need a carry strap. Using it as a hasty sling seems to be a better option than a loop sling. It is possible it could be made a tighter hasty sling. The rifle was sighted in from a bench in November. In January the scope was adjusted some, because the point of impact whilst shooting off hand kept being more left, and more high from center. Right now, i see no reason, no reason to move closer.

What seems to be working good right now, is the hasty sling, and the solid cheek weld, this rifle provides. Also, results seem to be better, when the trigger breaks unexpectedly. Another thing that seems to help, is copying the stance i observed, being one that puts more support on skeletal, and less on muscle.

Currently, my shooting requires a massive amount of improvement; hunting season is still a long ways off.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe most of us could use more practice under practical hunting conditions. I know I for one have been a bit lax in my practical shooting. But fortunately it has yet to cost me an animal (knock on wood).
This thread gives me motivation to go and start shooting offhand once I return home to PA
Old 02-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me too .......................... check this out.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have several of those slings including a bow sling. They are really good for gripping your shoulder and won't fall off while walking. But by the same token, to slide it off to the ready fire position is also not as easy as with a leather or nylon sling. I prefer the gripping however and I use them exclusively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.