Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Unsupported Shooting >

Unsupported Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unsupported Shooting

Old 02-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, I have a pretty good guess as to why you were shooting low. Your grip angle as well as you rear elbow angle is different with that stock. Has it been a long/longer time since you shot with a thumbhole stock? They do make a difference in your support structure. And with your practice of late being with a non thumbhole stock, you are holding your body differently at the time of the trigger depression, making your shots pull low because your timing is goofed. That rifle may just be a tad slower on firing as well which could make you shoot low. You may not want to shoot your hunting rifles that much, but the fact is, THAT is the tool you will be out there with so it is THAT tool which you should be gaining the deepest relationship with.

Edit to add: Nice looking rifle BTW!!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

It might not be a good idea to practice with a gun that's so different from your hunting gun.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
So, offhand you're shooting lower than the gun is sighted in for?
correct

Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
And what makes you so sure others can't Sheridan? Judging from your post," How many of you "think" you can do better than that (standing free hand) ??

Go a head and post your targets here !!!", you don't think many, if any, could. I don't think I could do much better anymore. But back 10 or so years ago my off hand groups at 100 matched and sometimes even exceeded Pete's target. And I know a LOT of guys that can do it as well.

Ron is doing quite a bit better than when he started this little journey of his. But there is certainly room for improvement. He is certainly doing well enough for hunting purposes. I'm just happy the man wants to IMPROVE his skills rather than sitting back on his laurels. Just not enough folks out there take the time to measure their skills and willing enough to improve on them.
Super,

If you can, than you can - Right ?!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You're the one who put up the challenge. I never said a thing about what others can do. I'm sure there are those that can shoot much better. Just keep in mind all I was doing was sighting in the gun. I wasn't shooting for score.
Pete,

No challenge, just a question .......................... ?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am totally supportive (LOL) of anyone who wants to shoot unsupported !

Did I say something to the CONTRARY ??

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-10-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

*Gives high credits for the pun*!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do unsupported shooters really need more support? It seems to me supported shooters are the ones most often unsupported. As for me, I like to be supported but can handle being unsupported fairly well.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

My hernia needs a lot of support.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring. It really wasn't as bad as I though it might be.

First I shot a couple from the bench, rested, @ 65 yards to confirm the rifle zero. That's my standard yard stick here in Jackland since it's where my bench is. On the nutz I moved on to the first standing shot I've taken seriously in a while. This is big to reference the target lay out for later. I don't use the fancy paper targets rich folk have got.

First 5 shots standing, using a loop sling, 223 AR, 3x9 scope, 75yds.
No sighter shots after 2 confirming shots from the bench.

Right away I think I've diagnosed low shots from a rifle with a confirmed zero. It's a lack of follow through. Probably most, may be not, but it's my biggest challenge I've identified right away. It's exactly like shooting a bow. Follow through = good shots. Dropping your arm on the shot = a sure low shot.

Don't laugh at my scale lines. I marked those using a tree branch. It's a 12"x12" piece of AR500 steel.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 02-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.